Tree Canopy Preservation Program Manager
Location: Brookhaven, GA
Combine your passion for trees and people to make a positive impact in the Brookhaven community. Trees provide a plethora of social, economic, environmental, and aesthetic benefits. This position is the opportunity to share your knowledge about the most effective practices used to maintain and establish healthy, resilient urban forests that benefit all Brookhaven residents.
As the citywide Tree Canopy Management & Preservation Program Director, you will use your excellent verbal and written skills to communicate and network about the importance of urban forest maintenance and management and will engage stakeholders through online and other tools and site-based presentations. The position serves as the city's enterprise-wide resource to internal departments and the community. The information you provide will assist the city in developing programs that are sustainable, effective, and publicly supported. The position provides support to citizen advisory boards, tree advocacy groups, and non-profit organizations engaged in urban forestry grants and projects.
You will be challenged by diverse projects and the fast pace of the city. Bring your innovative ideas with you and help us grow Brookhaven's tree preservation/arborist team.
This position requires a background in arboriculture, horticulture, or related field and strong organizational and communication skills.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Facilitate the city's tree canopy and management goals
- Supervises technical city arborist staff responsible for implementing the city's tree ordinance, permit review, site inspections, etc.
- Develops public education materials and facilitates public meetings and programs for builders, residents, etc.
- Attends Board of Appeals, Planning Commission, and City Council meetings as needed
- Represents the city on external boards, agencies, associations, etc. as assigned
- Conduct community meetings to explain the city code, planting process, property owner responsibilities, and other program information.
- Coordinate with Parks & Recreation Department on tree locations, existing conditions and tree species as needed.
- Assist in the planning of, attend and participate in city special events.
- Attend neighborhood meetings and special events to promote the value of trees and the city's mission.
- Manage the city's update of the tree ordinance and tree canopy study, as needed
- Monitor and report on the city's tree fund
- Survey neighborhoods to determine site suitability, above and underground utility locations, tree species, tree basin readiness and specific neighborhood context.
- Approve tree locations and mark sidewalks for cutting as needed, observing USA markings and all city guidelines.
- Coordinate tree species selection, contractors and material orders necessary to complete planting projects.
- Conduct post-planting surveys on all trees planted, and perform necessary tree care including re-tying, re-staking and sometimes replanting.
- Complete Project Reports in a timely fashion, providing complete and accurate information on accounting and the project narrative, enabling others to invoice and report to funders.
- Develop and maintain database with property owner contact information, planted tree data and other data as needed.
- Maintain and track materials and trees in inventory and provide accurate records as needed.
- Plan / organize / direct / supervise work of several tree maintenance contract crews ensuring all work is completed according to contract specifications
- Update tree inventory pertaining to City projects
- Use electronic plan review, permitting, and other software in support of position
- Assign work / coach / provide corrective discipline
- Track performance / prepare informational & analytical reports / spreadsheets / implement changes in practices
- Assist with large scale storm response & emergency response as needed
- Perform other assigned arborist tasks
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental studies, Arboriculture, Forestry, Geology, Business or related field from an accredited college or university;
- A background in urban forestry, arboriculture or horticulture.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- ISA Arborist Certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Keep up-to-date with all correspondence.
- Familiarity with developing and maintaining urban forest master plans
- Work with citizens / contractors / other stakeholders to address concerns & resolve complaints
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all safety policies and rules and must be willing to report and/or act on safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Incumbent is expected to meet attendance standards as determined by management. Must be available and willing to work according to the assigned schedule and must be available and willing to work overtime (including daily, weekend and holidays) as determined by management as necessary to meet the business needs.
This employee is regularly required to perform sedentary and light work and exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects. The employee is also required to balance, climb, finger objects, grasp, hear, make rational decisions, reach, use repetitive motion, speak, talk, visualize, and walk.
The City has the right to revise this position description at any time, and does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Back to Job Listings