Location: Naples, FL
Naples Botanical Garden is a 170-acre world-class paradise, featuring the flora and cultures of the tropics and sub-tropics including Brazil, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and Florida. The Garden’s mission is to connect people and plants through display, education, conservation, and applied science. The Garden has beautifully restored native habitats, cultivated gardens, walking trails, and public programming that offer education and enjoyment for people of all ages. Naples Botanical Garden is a 501(c)3 organization.
Position Summary: Serves as Nursery gardener for Naples Botanical Garden. This position is responsible for the maintenance and care of nursery facilities that contain a large diversity of specimen (Orchids, cacti, trees, shrubs, etc.) for research, conservation, community projects, and garden usage. Among the duties assigned to this position are the following:
- Maintain Nursery and assist with day-to-day tasks such as: seeding, repotting, propagating, weeding, organizing, watering, and cleaning.
- Recognize and report potential plant abnormalities such as wilting, leaf scorch, nutrient deficiencies, and/or pests.
- Maintain record of new plants, repotting, relocation, labeling of plant material, and any changes to nursery plants.
- Follow industry best management practices.
- Other duties as required and assigned.
- Self-motivated, adaptable, open to new ideas, and independent worker.
- Attention to detail and ability to perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- 6 months experience in public gardens, commercial nurseries, greenhouse operation, landscape, ground maintenance, or other related experiences preferred.
- Must posses a valid driver’s license and good driver’s record, and be capable of operating pickup trucks and other essential equipment safely.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of plant material, proper maintenance techniques, and correct horticultural practices, with good aesthetic sensibility.
- Understanding of Integrated Pest Management techniques.
- Ability to work well within a diverse and multicultural workforce, including volunteers.
- Ability to work as part of a team or individually with little or no supervision.
- Good interpersonal communication.
- Normal work hours are Monday-Friday 7:00-3:30; must have flexible schedule to include evenings and weekends as work required priorities or seasonal needs change.
- Must be able to work required overtime, often with little advance notice (e.g., storm damage.)
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather- extreme heat, high winds, and rain.
- Must be able to perform physical work including heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Pre-employment background check required
Naples Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Garden has a long-standing policy of employment and advancement based solely upon qualifications to perform the essential elements of a position without regard to age, creed, gender, national origin or ancestry, race, color, religion, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, HIV status, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, handicap or mental or physical disability.
Back to Job Listings