Location: Sarasota County, FL
Salary: $16.76/hr. - $18.00/hr.
About Our Job
This job involves daily tree trimming and maintenance of trees throughout the County’s right-of-way, Parks and Facilities as required.
- Performs tree trimming work in a professional manner. This work will be done in a team environment utilizing aerial bucket trucks and urban forestry rope and saddle equipment. Work will include trimming and pruning trees to maintain a dominant leader (one main trunk) by reducing the length of tree competing leaders or removing competing leaders completely as required. Provide reduction cuts to tree branches in street tree inventory ensuring lowest branches are reduced for safety and health of the trees. Prune tree branches to prevent limbs from growing larger than half the truck diameter.
- Conducts tree pruning as needed on county owned property for risk reduction and clearance. May be required to remove large trees on County properties as needed.
- Performing pesticide applications to all urban street trees within County rights of ways up to (3) times a year. Performs hand spreading of fertilizes to trees that are confined in areas that are not accessible by motorized vehicles. Conducts small tree removal when necessary.
- Responds to customer complaints relating to right of way line of site issues or roadway blockage concerns. Completes and submits work orders relating to work performed in a timely and professional manor. Responds to emergency situations as required. Maintains equipment and vehicles as assigned.
Work Hours: 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one-year experience in tree care maintenance, landscaping, or natural lands management. Must possess a Driver's License. Also, must obtain a passing score on “Green Industries Best Management Practices" for fertilizer application with six (6) months form date of hire. Must also obtain a state of Florida pesticide applicators license (Right-of Way) within one-year (1) year from date of hire.
- Operating and maintaining small power and hand-held equipment
- Operating bucket trucks, chippers, and other large equipment
- Working at various heights and in hot humid conditions
- Directing traffic on high volume roadways
- Working independently and in a team environment
Preferred Qualifications: One (1) year tree pruning experience and Florida Department of Transportation “Temporary Traffic Control certification” Intermediate Level.
- Knowledge and application or modern tree care practices.
- Ability to use forestry equipment for tree access and debris removal. (Aerial Lifts, rope and saddle, chippers, stump grinder).
- Ability to use and maintain various types of small two cycle equipment.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and maintenance of traffic.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Knowledge of tree identification, tree physiology and tree pests and pathogens.
- Employee is expected to lift logs and brush more than 75 pounds to feed brush chipper for up to six (6) hours per day.
- Employee must be able to hoist/pull body weight while using rope and saddle for climbing.
- Employee is expected to use various chain saws and hand tools for up to six (6) hours per day.
- Employee works in high, precarious places, around Fumes or air-borne particles, in outdoor weather conditions (cold/hot), with dangerous equipment.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: $15.71 - $20.24
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco Free/Drug Free Workplace
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5741.
To Apply (copy & paste link in browser): https://scgov.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SCGOV/job/Little-Bob/Arboriculture-Tech_R12786/apply
1660 Ringling Blvd.
Sarasota, Florida 34236
Back to Job Listings