Senior Municipal Arborist Specialist
Location: Charlotte, NC
City of Charlotte
Classified Job Title: Arborist
Working Title: Senior Municipal Arborist Specialist
This position is responsible for administration and supervisory work within the City Arborist Group (CAG), a section of the General Services Departments Landscape Management Division.
The Senior Municipal Arborist Specialist (SMAS) supervises four (4) Municipal Arborist Specialists (MAS) as related to the enforcement and administration of the Charlotte Tree Ordinance, and manages the CAG’s City tree inspection and tree management program. The inspection and tree management program receives over 5,000 service requests every year ranging from tree planting inquiries to emergency storm damage requests.
The SMAS also supports the City Arborist in the development and implementation of initiatives that support City Council’s Urban Forest Master Plan. Duties include process management, organizing, professional development/training oversight, policy development, tree planting contract development and ordinance enforcement.
- Enforces the Charlotte Tree Ordinance, by issuing Notices of Violation, assessing civil penalties/fines, managing City tree mitigation program, supports the City Arborist and his/her role as staff liaison to the Charlotte Tree Advisory Commission (CTAC).
- Co-manages the City’s tree inventory
- Supports development/management of group’s urban forestry best management practices.
- Manages urban forest pest/disease issues on street trees, and helps coordinates research programs on City trees.
- Supervises four (4) Municipal Arborist Specialists.
- Participates in emergency on-call storm response program and other duties as needed. Position is considered essential personnel for emergency situations and high-profile projects. May be required to work non-standard or overnight work shifts as needed.
- Reviews/inspects Capital and private development plans/sites.
- Provides quality customer service during extensive interaction with citizens, developers, homeowner groups and other government and community agencies in carrying out local tree ordinances, urban forest polices, and procedures.
- Attends evening and weekend events as required.
- Assists the Assistant City Arborist with tree canopy management initiatives as needed.
- Serves as lead on managing group’s documentation protocol.
- Prepares and maintains documents, work records and reports
- Supports General Services and Landscape Management’s safety training goals.
- Supports City Council’s focus areas and Urban Forest Master Plan.
- Performs related duties as required.
High school graduate or equivalent with seven (7) years of experience or an Associate’s degree with five (5) years of experience in Horticulture, Arboriculture, Forestry, Landscape Architecture; or equivalent combination of education, work experience, and relevant industry/job specific knowledge, skills, and/or certifications may be considered.
Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Arboriculture, Forestry, Landscape Architecture, or related field and three (3) years of management and supervisory experience in a related field. Local government experience. Certification as an ISA Certified Arborist and Tree Risk Assessment qualification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires thorough knowledge of plants, trees and shrubs indigenous to North Carolina and the southeastern U.S.
- Considerable experience in landscape operations, especially in planting, tree maintenance, equipment operation, pesticide and fertilizer applications, tree risk assessment.
- Knowledge of pesticides, fertilizers application.
- Good working knowledge of tree maintenance operations. Uses this knowledge in tree pruning and maintenance, storm cleanup and damage assessment.
- Knowledge of tools, equipment and materials used in the arboricultural/urban forestry industry.
- Knowledge of basic designs and principles for planting within roadways and urban environments.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Good public speaking skills with the ability to make quality presentations.
- Ability to read and interpret civil site plans, soil test results or other technical reports.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to successfully prioritize multiple projects and complete projects within project deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Experience managing people and supervising contractors.
- Requires a current driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Requires ISA Certified Arborist certification and Tree Risk Assessment qualification or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment.
- Requires good computer skills (Windows, Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point).
- Requires work in adverse weather conditions any time of the day or night.
- Minor climbing
- Minor lifting
- Vision (distance, near and peripheral)
- Color distinction
FLSA Status – Exempt
- Work hours may include nights, weekends and holidays when needed.
- Must possess a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Back to Job Listings