Location: Bowie, MD
Salary: $29.35 hourly (F/T - 40 hours)
JOB LISTING: The Parks and Grounds Community Forester is responsible for performing work in the field of municipal Horticulture, Arboriculture, and Urban Forestry. The Community Forester establishes and supervises programs, evaluating and reviewing plans and plats, administering City contracts for tree maintenance and landscaping, and conducting and maintaining a City wide tree inventory. Provides consultation to residents and City Government.
• Bachelor’s degree in Arboriculture, Urban Forestry, Agriculture, or related field.
• Five (5) years of experience and/or training that includes forestry management, arboriculture, horticulture, and landscaping or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist (or obtain within 6 months of hire).
• Maryland Department of Natural Resources Roadside Tree Expert License (or obtain within 6 months of hire).
• Valid CDL (or obtain within 90 days of hire).
• Work is performed in an office and field environment, requiring travel from site to site.
• Sufficient physical condition to preform heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs).
• Certain combinations of skill and experience will be considered.
*COVID-19 vaccination required in order to qualify for this position
• Maryland Department of Agriculture Pesticide License.
• Maryland Department of Agriculture Professional Fertilizer Applicator License.
• Maryland Certified Professional Horticulturist.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of trees, shrubbery, fertilization, disease, and pest diagnosis and control.
• Knowledge of policies and procedures for effective tree maintenance programs and best horticulture practices.
• Current pesticide management and fertilizer practices and licensing requirements.
• Ability to evaluate and inspect plants and trees with an emphasis on providing corrective measures when needed to improve plant life.
• Skill in effective tree maintenance practices for right-of-way and public properties.
• Ability to deal courteously with public and handle complaints.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, supervisors, and the public.
SALARY: $29.35 Hourly
HOW TO APPLY: PLEASE VISIT THE CITY’S WEBSITE AT: WWW.CITYOFBOWIE.ORG AND CLICK ON THE EMPLOYMENT LINK.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2021, BY 5:00PM
All applicants MUST submit a completed City of Bowie employment application in order to be considered for this opportunity.
The City of Bowie is a drug and alcohol-testing employer. EOE
Back to Job Listings