Tree Trimmer I
Location: Norfolk, VA
Tree Trimmer I
$31,804.00 - $51,864.00 Annually
Recreation, Parks & Open Space
The City of Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is currently seeking Tree Trimmer I's within the Division of Parks & Urban Forestry. The Tree Trimmer I will be responsible for pruning removing trees and applying horticultural chemicals. The incumbent will secure areas for public safety, train to climb trees, operate vehicles and equipment, and participate in emergency responses after hours.
The Tree Trimmer I reports to a Forestry Crew Leader, is part of a 3-person crew, performs skilled arboriculture practices on street, park, and other City trees while using a rope and saddle, bucket truck, chipper, and other arboriculture related equipment.
Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is proud to announce it has been awarded national accreditation by the Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies. This ensures we will continue to provide quality recreational services that enrich the lives of Norfolk's residents.
Departmental Hiring Range: $31,804 to $36,574
- Essential Functions
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Trains to trim, prune, climb and remove trees safely. Secures a safe work area and cleans up the work site before leaving or quitting work. Generally assists crew as directed. Utilizes all personal protective equipment and safety equipment.
- Cleans the work area by raking, sweeping, and using a blower to remove all debris.
- Operates and maintains vehicles and equipment by checking fluid levels, tire pressure, fuses, and light bulbs, cleaning, adjusting, and sharpening chainsaws, changing blades, and greasing equipment.
- Responds to emergencies by remaining on call after hours and during severe weather to remove trees and debris from roadways. Is an alpha employee and will report to work as required during all major storm events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Requires high school diploma or equivalent.
Six months of experience in arboriculture or landscaping.
The preferred candidate will possess two years of experience in professional tree care.
- Additional Information & Requirements
- Valid Driver's License at time of employment.
- Valid Commercial Driver's License, Class B required within six months of employment.
- Certified Pesticide Technician required within six months of employment.
- CPR/First Aid Certification required within six months of employment.
Work Hours: The Forestry Division is currently on an alternate work schedule; 4-day work week at 40 hours per week. Work hours may change seasonally.
- City of Norfolk
Back to Job Listings