Tree Inventory Technician
PlanIT Geo™ provides professional geospatial consulting services and web/mobile software solutions for Urban Forestry and green infrastructure planning, natural resource analysis, forest management, and related areas. We are seeking one candidate with diverse interests and experience/education in urban forestry, arboriculture, GIS, and technology. Candidates should be motivated, versatile, work well in the private industry under strict time restraints, be able to travel, and have excellent communication skills.
Primary responsibilities of the position:
• Collect individual tree x/y locations via mobile tools from aerial imagery while in the field.
• Assess each tree for a wide variety of fields/attributes (e.g. Common Name, Scientific Name, DBH, Condition, Height, Crown Spread, Insect Issues, Diseases, Defects, Size of Defect, Probability of Failure, Target Frequency, Other Risk Fields, Site Type, Address, etc.).
• Provide clients with training in tree inventory software and related data management in a variety of formats (Shapefile, Excel, Access, etc.).
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• ISA Certified Arborist – must have or be able to obtain within two weeks of hire date.
• Pursuit of, or obtained BS/BA degree in forestry, natural resources, horticulture or related field.
• Ability to ID a variety of North American tree species by common and botanical name (leaf-on and off seasons).
• Ability to ID or quickly learn a variety of defects (biotic and abiotic) for different species of trees.
• Familiarity of plant growth habits and landscape use of common urban tree species.
• Experience in GIS desktop software (ESRI or Open Source; from coursework or other).
• Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time while using a tablet device safely.
• Flexibility in work hours to meet a quota of trees inventoried per day.
• Ability to travel 2-4 weeks at a time, stay in hotels as needed, and have a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to establish/maintain effective working relationships with staff, clients, and other industry professionals.
Current Tree Inventory Projects PlanIT Geo is currently contracted for inventory work in New York, Florida, Colorado, Louisiana, and Washington. Projects may arise anywhere in the U.S. so the ability to travel efficiently and identify trees in all regions of the country is preferred.
Submittal PlanIT Geo is looking to evaluate and add a tree inventory technician as soon as possible. If interested and qualified, please email a one-page resume and cover letter to:
TJ Wood – Director of Field Operations ISA Certified Arborist RM-7676A Tree Risk Assessment Qualified (TRAQ) email@example.com
7878 Wadsworth Blvd, Suite 340
Back to Job Listings