Utility Vegetation Management Inspector(VMI)
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Salary: See Job Description
Multiple Immediate positions open:
Established in 1999, Foresters Co-Op has been a key figure in California forestry applying our forest management expertise on hundreds of thousands of acres of public and private timberland while also providing Professional Vegetation Management services for our state’s major utilities. FCO has established a reputation of quality by maintaining an experienced staff of Licensed RPF Foresters, Arborists, GIS Analysts and Forestry Technicians, thus affording future employees the opportunity to work in a challenging environment of technical and interesting natural resource management projects. Many of our newly hired staff shortly become lead foresters working directly with our clients, in a project management role.
Forester's Co-Op has Multiple Immediate Openings (4+) for Experienced Utility Vegetation Management Inspectors (VMI) to begin work on our utility client contracts.
The VMI supports oversight of vegetation projects including field operations such as tree assessment, tree trimming, and other work as required. Compliance with Vegetation management program scope, contract adherence, and Utility standards and specifications over the entire Utility service territory. Participates in Contractor safety and tailboard meetings to ensure crews follow company and regulatory (e.g. OSHA) safety, standards and work procedures. Vegetation Management Inspectors are authorized and expected to suspend Contractor work when necessary. Acts as a customer relations representative on behalf of the Utility. On site supports the coordination between Contractors, Communities, Agencies, First Responders, and all other Utility workgroups & stakeholders that may be involved in the successful completion of the vegetation project. Liaison to the Contractors to resolve obstacles to the completion of the work in a safe, cost effective, efficient, timely, and productive manner, such as managing time and expenses (T&E) in the field, in order to minimize rework and drive quality. May approve scheduling and scope changes in the field with management and Contractors as required. Encourages public, contractor, and employee safety on site at all times by promoting positive leadership, positive safety culture, good catches, exhibiting an absolute commitment to safety for self and others, and by ensuring all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards are followed. Ensures compliance with all applicable regulations which may include, but are not limited to: Annual permits, Encroachment permits, Traffic Control Plans, railroad permits, Caltrans permits, and environmental protection measures as documented on Environmental Release to Construction. Proficient in electronic devices and documentation proficiency. As assigned, completes electronic and paper-based documentation and reporting.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Candidate will be subject to a security back ground checks, verification of past employment and experience, driving record check, and drug and alcohol screening.
- The successful candidate will be required to sign a workplace confidentiality agreement
- Identifying, inspecting and assessing vegetation along right of ways for vegetation management
- Inventorying assessed vegetation via ESRI applications on iPad or iPhone.
- In Field inspections expected to be up to 95% of the time.
- Working closely with property owners to assess and assign tree work as needed.
- Quality Control and Work Verification of completed projects. (Ensuring deliverables are correct and accurate)
- At this time FCO is only seeking candidates with a minimum of 2+ years of utility field inspection vegetation management experience
- ISA Certified Arborist or Ability to obtain ISA Certification within one year of employment.
- 2 or 4-year college degree in a related field
- Valid CA driver’s License with clean driving history
- Above average math and computer skills, GIS knowledge is a plus
- Working knowledge of field data collection devices and GIS systems
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather and hike and negotiate steep, brushy terrain
This position will be based out of Grass Valley, CA, and may require out of town travel as may be required to meet client needs. Applicant will primarily as a member of a 5-person team. Working individually or in pairs as the work assignment might warrant throughout the Northern Sierra Nevada area.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a B.S. or advanced degree in forestry or closely related field
- ISA Certified Arborist
- ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ Certification)
- Familiarity with Northern California tree species, basic mensuration, and silvicultural techniques
- Working knowledge of a diameter tape, relaskope, hypsometer and other common forestry equipment
- Must be able to work alone in the woods
- Operations of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs and 4WD vehicles)
- Ability to operate a backpack and truck mounted herbicide sprayer.
Compensation: This position falls under the VMI employee job classification of our IBEW union agreement. We are offering successful new hires the initial agreement VMI job classification pay rate of $46.68. Assigned overtime work and compensation may be available depending on client work flow needs. The successful candidate will be required to become a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical workers Union local 1245. Union membership will be required prior to employment.
The position as a member of the IBEW union will be represented by the union under the current and future collective bargaining agreements that they have with our utility clients.
If you believe you have the experience and qualifications that meet the minimum standards of this job announcement contact us immediately. Please send a Resume, references and a Cover Letter to email@example.com.
415 Colfax Ave
Grass Valley , California 95945
Back to Job Listings