Tree Planting Crew
Location: Washington, DC
The Tree Planting Crew performs a variety of field operations for all tree planting, care and related activities. This crew member should have a "roll up your sleeves" attitude and enjoy working outside throughout the District. Our Tree Planting Crew works with internal/external stakeholders, including TP Arborists, other Casey Trees departments, community volunteers, etc. This is a full-time, year-round position with competitive benefits upon hire and pay starting at $18.50/hour.
- Selects, delivers, plants, prunes, inventories, waters and cares for trees
- Operates trucks, trailers, heavy machinery, hand and power tools
- Conducts regular vehicle and tool maintenance, including daily vehicle safety inspections; seasonal vehicle upkeep, regular tool cleaning, inventory, etc., and; upkeeps the office landscape/grounds, as directed
- Demonstrates professionalism and exceptional customer service, fostering positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Assists with tree procurement activities such as sourcing, invoicing, deliveries, inventory and reconciliation
- Collaborates across the organization as required to execute programs and activities
- Ensures adherence to organizational policies and procedures including, but not limited to: attendance, timeliness, conduct, professionalism, appearance, etc.
- Promotes a safety culture by eliminating/controlling hazardous conditions resulting from human error, equipment and machine operations that may lead to human injury and/or property damage
- Assists with logistical support during trainings, classes, workshops, tours, demonstrations, etc.
- Maintains a general knowledge in planting, pruning and tree care techniques
- Demonstrates an ability to use and repair small-motorized equipment
- Connects people to trees
- Other duties as assigned
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, year-round position. The schedule will be determined based on planting seasons and volunteer demands. The incumbent must be able and willing to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours when needed.
- Use of equipment and lifting to plant and maintain trees
- Working outside year-round in the heat, cold and inclement weather
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The incumbent is constantly required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The incumbent is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and walk. The incumbent is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 60 pounds frequently and seldom up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus
- The physical demands and work environment described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record and ability to safely drive work vehicles including a pickup truck and trailer
- Professional demeanor and the ability to interact and work with a variety of audiences
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously
- One year of experience working in landscaping, horticulture, forestry, urban forestry or related field
- Associate degree in horticulture, landscaping, forestry, urban forestry or related field
3030 12th Street NE
Washington, District of Columbia 20017
Back to Job Listings