Location: Franklin, TN
CITY OF FRANKLIN, TENNESSEE
Invites applications for the position of:
ARBORIST / PARKS
SALARY: $1,873.19 - $2038.50/Bi-weekly
Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for the long-term care and management of City trees. Responsible for developing, administrating, and monitoring programs and policies with City’s tree and landscape.
Essential Job Duties
- Consults with landscape architect, builders, contractors, and developers to promote tree preservation in the preparation of construction plans and coordinates with City and commercial field inspectors to ensure project completion in accordance with plan specifications and acceptable tree protection during construction.
- Serves as a consultant to homeowners, developers, architects, and other city staff on landscaping and tree preservation issues.
- Writes warning letters and issues citations, in coordination with the Codes Administration Department, to developers and homeowners as necessary.
Tree maintenance and safety training
- Receives and investigates tree complaints; conducts field inspections of work completed and identifies problems with trees that require attention; conducts park tree inspections within the entire park system; ensures staff compliance with proper work methods consistent with the City’s policies and OSHA regulations.
- Participates in the selection of staff; provides or coordinates staff safety training and skill enhancement training.
- Supervises activities of crews.
- Presents lectures to community groups, students, and the general public.
- Conducts various workshops and attends conferences to educate, train, and increase public awareness.
- Acts as department liaison to City’s Tree Board and oversees Arbor Day Celebration and City’s Tree City USA designation.
Urban forestry management
- Participates in the preparation and administration of the Parks budget; submits budget recommendations; monitor expenditures and charges to all relevant accounts. Prepares accurate material and labor estimates for City projects as required.
- Performs duties such as administering tree removal permits, investigating illegal tree removals, responding to and investigating citizen complaints, maintaining computerized inventory of construction projects subject to the landscape and tree preservation ordinance, applying for grants, recommends administering the tree bank, and supervises public tree plantings.
- Prepares analytical and statistical reports on operations and activities including Work Order Reports.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through obtaining a Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university, plus two years of related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist
A Tennessee Department of Agriculture Certified Pesticide Applicators License for C03 is required for this job. (Must be obtained within 6 months)
TN Driver’s License CDL
EOE/Drug Free Workplace
Back to Job Listings