Urban Forestry Fellowship - Morris Arboretum
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Salary: $15.00/hr + benefits
The Urban Forestry Fellow engages in urban forestry and natural resource management practices, assessments, programs, and planning for public gardens, design firms, government agencies, education, and community organizations. The Fellow also learns about and teaches stewardship concepts and practical applications through urban tree and natural resources management projects.
The Fellow also develops tree management software skills, vegetation analysis and management planning skills. This position is supported by the Martha S. Miller and Rusty Miller Endowment.
This internship is expected to run for a duration of 12 months, starting on 3/7/2022, and the pay is $15.00/hour.
For more information visit www.morrisarboretum.org/ed_internships.shtml
Apply at email@example.com - type in Fellow-urban forestry in search
Please note, this position requires a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle during working hours.
The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania inspires an understanding of the relationship between plants, people and place through education, research and horticultural display. Located in the Northwest section of the city, the Morris Arboretum is a destination for plant lovers from Philadelphia and beyond. The home to a collection of more than 13,000 woody plants and host to special and educational events. Morris Arboretum is a hub for botany, horticulture and urban forestry and a special part of Penn.
- Participate in fieldwork activities including tree identification, tree inventory, and the visual assessment of trees in urban and natural settings at all times of year.
- Assist with consulting report writing, library research, diagnostic techniques, data management and map making.
- Learn about tree and other natural resource management.
- Complete an independent study project under the direction of your supervisor. Learn to follow proper safety practices.
- Use diagnostic equipment such as a resistance drill, soil moisture sensors and sampling techniques.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A Bachelor's Degree and 0 to 1 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
- Academic background in urban forestry, ecology, horticulture, arboriculture, landscape design, or a related field.
- Landscape design, ecology, or woody plant experience is very desirable.
- Experience in publication production or report writing is useful.
- Written and verbal communication skills are essential, as is a range of computer experience. Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is preferred; as well as working knowledge of AutoCAD and the ArcGIS software suite including the ArcGIS Online environment.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently are expected.
- Participation in some overnight travel to service the needs of Arboretum clients is required.
- A valid driver's license and car is required.
- Must be able and willing to work in the field in varied weather conditions.
- A full background check will be undertaken for the successful applicant.
In addition to the online application, applicants will be required to provide the following supporting documents:
- Cover letter/Letter of intent
- Two letters of recommendation
- College transcripts
9414 Meadowbrook Ave
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19118-2624
Back to Job Listings