Vegetation Management Specialist I
Location: Orlando, FL
More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
This position can be located in multiple locations within the South Central Zone of Duke Energy Florida's jurisdiction. The exact location will be determined at the time of offer based on business needs.
This position is responsible for planning, implementing, documenting, and inspecting the Distribution Vegetation Management Program (DVMP) in their respective Distribution Maintenance Area/Zone. The vegetation management program includes assessing, planning, re-clearing, documenting, and inspecting the Distribution rights-of-way of vegetation to assure the safe and reliable operation of the distribution grid. Since the activities are accomplished primarily through the use of contract resources, a significant part of this position’s responsibility involves contractor management and oversight. With regard to customer service, this position will be required to communicate effectively with property owners, public officials, and other stakeholders regarding various vegetation issues for the electrical system. As a VM Specialist I, this individual will provide technical guidance to internal employees, contract employees, and the public regarding vegetation management. In addition, this position serves as a key technical resource for the Program Managers, System Foresters, Distribution Managers, and leadership positions of Duke’s vegetation program. This position is responsible for implementing program activities to ensure some or all of the following: Utility Commission compliance, state/local/ordinance regulatory compliance, franchise agreement compliance, and system reliability. This position is also responsible for all compliance documentation related to planning and implementation of the annual VM work plan. In addition to or in lieu of the roles previously discussed, this position may also be responsible for the Vegetation Management Inspector role, vegetation management activities for substations, clearing rights-of-way for new construction, and/or communications role with public and regulatory entities.
This position has:
- Financial responsibilities of up to $10 million
- Management responsibility for up to 250 contract personnel indirectly
- Program or project management responsibilities within position’s area/zone of responsibility
- Direct impact on high external risks (litigation, Commission issues, environmental regulations, public relations)
- Direct impact on significant internal risks (financial, org production/drivers, multi-business unit coordination, etc.)
- Compliance responsibility/impact (EPA/DOL/Utility Commission/etc.)
- Distribution Vegetation Management Plan (DVMP): Annual Planning Develop vegetation management work plan and associated budget for respective D Maintenance area/zone in collaboration with other VM Specialists, System Forester, and ROW Manager. Work with System Forester and ROW Manager to assure that work plan is in compliance with Federal and State Distribution vegetation management standards and regulatory requirements.
- Contract Management Support and participate in contract development/award process. Monitor performance of contract resources to assure safe work practices, vegetation management procedures/standards adherence, and productivity consistent with Duke Energy expectations. Manage the productivity and performance of contract crews indirectly through contractor management to ensure safe and efficient operation of the crews. Work with ROW Manager to address any discrepancies between contractor performance and Duke policies/procedures and expectations.
- Customer Relations (Internal and External) To enhance the level of customer satisfaction with Duke’s VM Program through various communications channels with Duke Energy customers, local governments, local tree boards, industry groups, civic groups, and any other entity that interfaces and affects the success of the program. This position responds to customer and community concerns associated with our VM and herbicide programs and through the development, presentation, and implementation of communication and education activities, promotes understanding and acceptance of the program. Work proactively to avert conflicts with property owners or others who have objections with Duke's VM activities. This may include meeting directly with aggrieved parties or participation in seminars/workshops to educate communities on the need, components, and benefits of the vegetation management program.
- Governmental/Community Relations Works with government agencies, including DOT and Environmental, to ensure compliance with appropriate state and federal regulations and pro-active communications of area vegetation management plans and procedures to community stakeholders.
- Work Plans Manage respective Distribution maintenance area vegetation management work plan and budget by monitoring/reporting work plan completion progress, reviewing/approving invoices for contract work, monitoring unit costs, and adjusting work plans and expenditures as necessary.
- Inspections/Patrols Perform regular patrols of Distribution rights-of-way to identify issues that would potentially impact the safe and reliable operation of the line. This is to be performed consistent with the relevant Transmission or Distribution procedures. Document all potential NERC compliance related outages.
- Financial Management ( for Distribution) Manage expenditures within area of responsibility to ensure that budget targets and forecast changes are met. Implement adjustments within area of responsibility to complete necessary work while meeting budget forecasts, including forecast changes.
- Construction Clearing Perform activities for construction project clearing in area of responsibility participating in project planning; participating in project bidding; evaluation of bids; contract oversight; oversight and reporting of erosion and sedimentation control requirements during clearing work; etc.
- A Bachelor's of Science degree in Forestry, Engineering, or other related technical field and 1 year of electrical or vegetation management experience OR Associate's degree in Forestry, Engineering. or other related technical field and 3 years of vegetation management, electrical, or utility experience OR a High School Diploma/GED and and 3+ years of vegetation management or distribution/transmission utility work experience.
- ISA Arborist or Utility Arborist Certification
- Pesticide License
- Valid Driver's License
- Possess working knowledge of how VM affects the safety and reliability of the electrical system.
- PMI© Knowledge & Project related work experience
- Familiarity with GIS databases and other geo-spatial systems
- Utility Experience – Working knowledge to proficiency
- Construction Management knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to implement vegetation management methods, processes and procedures and train and develop other foresters in the implementation of the same
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated effective communication and customer relation skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate program effectiveness
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including motivation skills
- Demonstrated excellent negotiating and conflict management skills
- Demonstrated ability to deal with highly stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to deal with multi-levels within an organization
- Demonstrated ability to get work done through use of contractors.
- Demonstrated computer skills in working with word processing, PowerPoint and spreadsheet application in a Windows environment.
- Possesses previous supervisory experience
- Recognition by industry associates as an industry expert
- Possesses previous experience managing a contract employee workforce
- This individual must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to effectively interface with customers, property owners, governmental officials, regulatory officials, and contractors.
- Must possess analytical skills to ensure superior performance of contractors by developing performance measurement/assessment tools.
- Must be technically competent in various forestry/vegetation and project management techniques.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to lead others in day-to-day activities as well as complex team projects.
Clermont , Florida 34711
Back to Job Listings