Greenhouse Horticulturist I
Location: Jamaica Plain, MA
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University seeks a skilled greenhouse and nursery professional, passionate about cultivating the Arboretum’s next generation of temperate woody plants, to fill the role of Greenhouse Horticulturist I at the Dana Greenhouse and Nursery. The Greenhouse Horticulturist I is responsible for the full scope of tasks at the Arboretum’s nursery and greenhouse facility, including all aspects of plant care in long-term nurseries, the evaluation nursery, and research-style greenhouses; maintaining landscapes bordering the facility; operating various equipment; planning and executing I.P.M. practices; and completing other assignments as part of the comprehensive Plant Production operation.
This position oversees the work of interns, apprentices, and term appointments and may be responsible for overseeing the work of Gardener I and Gardener II workers as needed. In addition, staff members support the Arboretum’s longstanding internship training programs through the development and instruction of courses, hands-on training, and mentorship. The successful candidate is expected to engage fully in the professional activities of the Arboretum and work collaboratively with colleagues on interdepartmental efforts.
Full-time, Permanent, Benefits Eligible Position. The normal schedule for this position includes four days during the regular workweek (M-F) and one consistent weekend day, 7:30am-4:00pm (40 hours/week). Occasional additional work on regularly scheduled off-days and holidays is required. Hourly Wage: $37.09.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
Performs a wide variety of duties associated with the overall operation of the Living Collections including:
- Structural pruning of young trees, and maintenance pruning of shrubs and vines
- Nursery practices including ball-and-burlap techniques and proper planting protocols
- Pest and disease monitoring and management as part of a holistic I.P.M. program
- Weed management and lawn maintenance
- Soil health monitoring and improvement
- Evaluate and improve landscape aesthetics
- Maintain, repair, and operate various equipment
- Leaf, litter, and snow management
- Identify and assist with repair of irrigation, drainage, and other hardscape
- Oversees the work of interns, apprentices, and term appointments
- May oversee the work of Gardener I and Gardener II workers as assigned
- Related job duties as assigned
Under the direction of the Assistant Manager of Plant Production, the Greenhouse Horticulturist I may be required to:
- Regulate greenhouse environments and have the skills necessary for the propagation and production of plants
- Monitor greenhouses and nurseries for pests and carry out an Integrated Pest Management (I.P.M.) program
- Collaborate with the Plant Records department for accurate plant inventory and labeling of the collection in greenhouses and nurseries, using BGBASE collections management software
- Perform all tasks related to plant production within the greenhouses and outdoor nurseries
- May oversee/train greenhouse employees on proper data readings and recording of weather station, submit monthly weather reports and/or annual weather summaries as required
- Order tools and supplies as needed
- Under the direction of or in the absence of the Assistant Manager, meet with contractors and acquire written proposals for work needed
- Oversee the greenhouse and nursery operation/ complex in the absence of the Assistant Manager and Plant Propagator
- Related job duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s Degree required. Hiring preference for degrees in arboriculture, horticulture, or a related field. A minimum of (3) three years’ experience in the field of horticulture or a related field is required.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Significant experience in ornamental horticulture may be substituted for the educational requirement. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and acquire a D.O.T. Medical Examiner’s Certificate as part of the pre-hiring process. Possess and maintain a Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator’s License within six months of employment and either a Massachusetts Commercial Pesticide License or a Massachusetts Private Pesticide License within three years of employment. Possess and maintain (within six months of employment) a hoisting license of the proper classification as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Be certified as an Arborist with the Massachusetts Arborist Association or with the International Society of Arboriculture within six months of employment.
Must be able to perform manual labor, including frequent lifting/carrying/transporting loads up to 50 lbs., and work with loud equipment. Required to work in all weather conditions in all seasons and essential staff for weather-related emergencies impacting the grounds.
This position is performed in an outdoor work environment and greenhouses.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is performed on-site in Boston (Jamaica Plain/Roslindale) M.A., not in a remote environment. Please also note that Harvard University cannot provide Visa Sponsorship or Work Authorization for this position.
If you believe you need reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job or to submit an application, please contact us at 617-495-2772. This is a dedicated line to assist job seekers with a disability requiring assistance in applying online.
We welcome interested applicants to view our website at: https://arboretum.harvard.edu to learn about our sesquicentennial celebration at https://arboretum.harvard.edu/arnold150/. Read about our land acknowledgment https://arboretum.harvard.edu/stories/early-indigenous-land-use and our statement on the legacy of slavery: https://arboretum.harvard.edu/about/our-history/the-arnold-arboretum-and-the-legacy-of-slavery/.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’s COVID-19 Information Website.
Back to Job Listings