Location: Wausau, WI
This is skilled work maintaining trees and other vegetation along streets, in parks, and on other public property. Work includes planting, pruning, treatment, and removal of trees and other vegetation using accepted industry standards. Work may include leading and guiding others. Work assigned by Park Forester. Arborist is expected to exercise independent judgment based on the general objectives of the supervisor. Work is reviewed by observation at the work site, by inspection of completed work, and by review of work records.
High school graduation or equivalent and one year paid experience involving principles and practices of arboriculture; OR equivalent combination of paid work experience and closely related education. Use of aerial lifts and/or rope and saddle equipment preferred. ISA certification preferred.
Necessary Special Qualifications:
Possession of a valid Wisconsin Class A CDL without air brake restrictions OR pass the required Class A CDL written exams and obtain a Class A CDL without restrictions on air brakes within 1 year of hire.
Driving record that meets County standards. Possession of or ability to acquire Class 3.0 Pesticide Applicator License.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Prunes trees in parks, along city streets, or on other public property using various means including aerial lifts, rope and saddle, and from the ground.
Removes dead and hazardous trees on public property.
Plants trees along city streets, in parks, and other public areas.
Performs cabling and bracing work on trees.
Performs injections of ash for emerald ash borer control.
Operates a variety of tools and equipment following instructions and safety standards to inspect and maintain plants.Equipment used may include aerial lift, log loader, chipper, chain saws, stump grinder, and tractors.
Provides guidance to seasonal employees regarding safety practices, methods of operating and setting up equipment, and proper pruning and removing techniques.
Handles equipment breakdowns in a way that minimizes downtime and maximizes remaining equipment and personnel.
Records work related information including work assigned and accomplished, materials used, time-keeping, etc.
Develops solutions to work issues that add value for our customers.
Participates in establishing professional development goals that are supportive of broader County goals.
Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices within the ANSI A300 standards as well as Best Management Practices for tree pruning.
- Knowledge of safety standards found within the Z133 related to arboricultural work and work as a team member in ensuring safe work practices are used.
- Knowledge of current tree removal practices and ability to apply techniques.
- Working knowledge of the proper methods of climbing trees and the necessary safety precautions involved and to work effectively in challenging positions at considerable heights above the ground.
- Knowledge of tree species and cultivars commonly used in parks and on streets as well as their growth rates and form.
- Knowledge of tree planting techniques and ability to apply them.
- Ability to operate mechanical equipment such as aerial lift, log loader, chipper, chain saws, stump grinder, and tractors.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to recognize pests, diseases, and defects in trees.
- Physical stamina, strength, agility and ability to perform assigned tasks in all weather conditions.
- Skill in the use of climbing spikes, rope and saddle, knots, and other tools commonly employed in pruning and removal operations.
- Ability to work independently and direct the work of others.
- Understands the County’s and department’s mission, core values, plans, and priorities for the future.
- Ability to contribute to a positive work culture that fosters excellent customer service and teamwork.
Startly hourly wage: $24.65 - $ 27.61
Back to Job Listings