Sr. Heavy Equipment operator - Arboriculture - Chipper Truck
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Salary: $42,828.00 - $56,741.00
The purpose of this position is to aid the Municipal Arborist and Assistant Arborist in the long-term management of the Town's urban forest and short-term care of individual trees while maintaining the standards of the Town and other related organizations.
- Essential Functions
Participate in the maintenance of the Town’s Urban Forest
Assist the Arboricultural crew in diagnosis of, removal of and mitigation of harmful trees
- Assist with tree removals in a safe and timely manner
- Assist with dead wooding of trees
- Work with the right of way group to perform vegetative cutbacks along Town maintained streets
- Participate in on call and call back for afterhours emergencies
- Participates in the pruning of trees, planting of trees and other horticultural practices related to vegetative maintenance
- Safely operates and works around aerial bucket trucks, chippers, dump trucks, etc.
- Uses industry equipment and techniques in compliance with industry standards such as ropes, carabiners, port-o-wraps, pulleys, winches, knots, webbing and slings safely
- Assist with the maintenance of trees to keep limbs free from overhanging and touching buildings, fences, lights, and cameras
- Sprays vegetation with herbicides labeled for use within the Town of Chapel Hill (if the employee holds a NC Pesticide License)
- Works with other Town departments as needed
Participates in department and Town trainings. Ensures a safe job site. Performs equipment maintenance.
- Participates in Town safety trainings
- Attends trainings outside of the Town to stay abreast of industry trends and technology
- Ensure that all ANSI, OSHA, ISA, TCI and Town safety and industry standards are being followed
- Assist the Municipal Arborist and Assistant Arborist to ensure that all traffic safety devices are in place when needed (signage, message / arrow boards, cones, flaggers
- Attends and completes flagger training, and basic and intermediate work zone safety training through the Institute for Transportation Research and Education (ITRE)
- Operates all equipment per the operation manual and in a safe manner
- Ensure vehicles are safe and writes up and issues needing repair with the fleet maintenance shop
- Inspect current equipment to ensure safety for the arboriculture staff.
- Participates in snow removal operations
Perform other duties as required
This position has no supervision responsibilities.
The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching, climbing, or stooping; occasionally lifting heavy objects; and using equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
The work is typically performed in the field with exposure to inclement weather, traffic, insects, noxious vegetation, dust, vibration, noise, and fumes.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Possession of a NC CDL Class B license
- The ability to lift 50lbs. or more
The practice of tree maintenance, pruning and removal, to include safe operation of equipment related to the industry (Chainsaw, Pole saw, Chipper)
The knowledge of and ability to use rigging equipment to lower tree limbs, trunk sections, including ropes, carabiners, port-o-wraps, pulleys, and winch along with knots, webbing, slings to safely accomplish the stated goal.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- The ability to lift 50lbs or more
- Operate equipment related to the program
- Perform preventive maintenance on equipment
- Operate a computer and basic software programs
- Operate highly skilled heavy equipment maintenance and operation
- Model behaviors that are consistent with our values of RESPECT
- Use chainsaws, pole saws, blowers, and other landscaping / arboriculture related equipment.
High school diploma or equivalency or an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties
One year of job-related experience
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a minimum of a Class B CDL issued by the State of North Carolina.
- Supplemental Information
This classification has been designated as Safety Sensitive and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
The position is driving essential and subject to the Town's Safe Driving and Accident Policy.
Back to Job Listings