Location: Urbana, IL
Salary: $24.63 - $24.92/hr.
Pay Grade: $24.63 - $24.92/hr., full-time + excellent benefits
Department: Public Works
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt; Civil Service; AFSCME
Job Summary: Arborists work together or supervise individual crews in seasonal planting, tree removal, pruning, spraying, and fertilizing trees. Arborists operate equipment as assigned; supervise field crews; and periodically diagnose plant disorders and assist in their control measures. Arborists are also subject to call-out during emergencies or severe storms. This position is within the AFSCME bargaining unit.
Qualifications include (but are not limited to):
- At least two years of professional, related work experience, with at least one year of experience dealing exclusively with trees
- Knowledge of tree anatomy, plant diseases, insect problems, and their control
- Possession of a valid State of Illinois Class B, CDL, Air Brake and Tanker endorsement driver’s license or the ability to obtain one soon after hire
- Possession of an Illinois Pesticide Applicators license or the ability to obtain one within one (1) year of employment
- Possession of an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist or the ability to obtain one within one (1) year of employment
- Works out-of-doors year round;
- Typically works at heights of 20 to 70 feet; occasionally in excess of 70 feet;
- Works with potentially hazardous chemicals;
- Works with potentially dangerous tools;
- Routinely exposed to potentially dangerous work situations, including electrical hazards.
- Must be available in the event of emergencies.
Application Procedure: Please visit urbanaillinois.us/jobs to apply. The position will remain open until filled.
Back to Job Listings