Location: University City, Mo
Full-time, non-exempt position, Monday-Friday, 7:00 am – 3:30 pm with occasional overtime required. This is a semi-skilled manual labor work involving the maintenance of trees, operation of trucks, and chippers.
Work involves responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of standard tree trimming equipment including making minor repairs and adjustments. Tree trimmers are required to effectively operate several types of automotive, and related specialized equipment. Assignment for new or special jobs will be given in detail but repeating jobs will be performed independently. Work is subject to review in progress or upon completion.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Trims, removes and plants trees on city owned property.
- Operates a variety of equipment including but not limited to; forestry aerial lift and boom truck, chipper, skid loader with a variety of attachments, front loader, snow plow, chainsaws, and a variety of manual pruning equipment.
- Makes minor repairs on equipment operated and keeps equipment clean and functional.
- Performs manual labor tasks.
- May serve as a lead worker.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of tree maintenance, trimming and removal methods
- Knowledge of the laws and ordinances regulating the operation of automotive vehicles.
- Knowledge of the geography of University City and its park system.
- Ability to operate a variety of heavy and complex equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform manual work; work at heights, often under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors and fellow workers.
PHYSICAL/VISUAL ACTIVITIES OR DEMANDS
- Hearing, walking, reaching, stooping, bending, climbing and lifting.
- Concentrated mental and visual attention with normal hand-eye coordination.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches-corrected or uncorrected.
- Occasional moving of items up to 80lbs.
- Ability to work inside and outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work from aerial lifts and raised platforms/ladders.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Experience in the operation of automotive equipment such as trucks and tractors, preferably including some experience with heavy equipment.
- Valid Driver’s License and a current (CDL Class “A” Driver’s License), or the ability to acquire CDL Class “A” within six months of employment.
Interested applicants should submit an application by mail or in person to: The City of University City Human Resources Department, 6801 Delmar Blvd. University City, MO 63130. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Employment applications may be picked up in the Human Resources office or downloaded from the City’s website @ Employment Opportunities. No phone calls or faxes please.
The City of University City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Experience in the operation of automotive equipment such as trucks and tractors, preferably including some experience with heavy equipment. Valid Driver’s License and a current (CDL Class “A” Driver’s License), or the ability to acquire CDL Class “A” within six months of employment.
Back to Job Listings