Forester – Multiple Vacancies
Location: New York, NY
Title: Forester – Multiple Vacancies
Build your career with NYC Parks! while taking care of NYC’s Urban Forest.
NYC Parks is the steward of more than 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 65 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf courses, and 14 miles of beaches. We care for 1,200 monuments and 23 historic house museums. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. We are New York City's principal providers of recreational and athletic facilities and programs. We are home to free concerts, world-class sports events, and cultural festivals.
The mission of Environment and Planning Division is to protect, restore, expand, and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure. The division is responsible for citywide urban forestry, ecological and horticulture initiatives.
- Under general supervision, perform advanced professional forestry functions in the field and office; perform related work.
- Enforce Parks Department standards for tree pruning removal, planting, and replacement.
- Assess work to be done by contractors; engage in directly and supervise employees involved in professional forestry activities.
- Consult with engineers, developers, and contractors on a regular basis throughout projects.
- Schedule, conduct and/or supervise inspections and field surveys to assess tree health, structure, pests, diseases, and construction impacts.
- Compile and manage forestry contracts, including tree maintenance, removal, planting, sidewalk repair, invasive species removal and natural area restoration.
- Review schedules, reports and correspondence prepared by consultants, contractors, and other agencies. Perform field inspections to assess contract compliance and work outcomes.
- Review permit applications to assess impacts to trees and landscapes, advise applicants and agencies on designs and methods, and / or issue permits.
- Manage forestry databases used to track, monitor, and produce reports on budgets, productivity, accomplishments, and program status updates.
- Respond to citizen inquiries and maintain working relationships with community boards, community groups and officials within and outside of the agency.
- Coordinate community-based greening efforts and lead tree stewardship workshops.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and one year of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
- An associate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and three years of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above. However, all candidates must have at least an associate degree with a specialization in forestry or a related subject.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
A Motor Vehicle driver's license valid in the State of New York.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience working with the public.
- Ability to work independently.
Work Location: Citywide
Open Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 593164
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL'S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115
New York, New York
Back to Job Listings