Tree Care Technician
Location: Buffalo, NY
The Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc.’s Tree Care Technician’s primary duties are to assist the forestry department with various tree care operations, such as planting, pruning, removing, training and protecting trees throughout the park system. Secondary duties include equipment maintenance and pesticide application. This position extensively utilizes chainsaws, bobcats, chippers, stump grinders and tree climbing / rigging equipment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in planting, pruning, training, protecting, and removing trees throughout the park system
- Equipment maintenance
- Heavy equipment operation
- Invasive species management
- Pesticide application
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Horticulture, Forestry, Arboriculture, Environmental Science or related field.
- or 3 years of equivalent work experience
- Desire to learn and work as a team
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labor and lift, push or pull up to 75 pounds
- Ability to adapt and respond to changing work situations / environments
- Experience with safe chainsaw operation and / or climbing technique is a plus
- Driver’s License is a must; Class B Commercial Driver’s License is a plus
- Full time – Mon thru Fri; 7am – 3pm; May require occasional evening or weekend hours, as needed
- Primarily outdoor work. May work in extreme weather conditions.
- Job duties require employee to bend, reach, stoop, climb, push, pull, stand and walk for extended periods as well as lift, push and/or pull up to 75 pounds
- Position requires employee to drive distances between parks locations and to operate standard to heavy machinery
Back to Job Listings