Urban Forestry Specialist
Location: Edmond, OK
Salary: $22.05-$23.43 Per hour
The purpose of Edmond’s Urban Forestry Department is to promote, preserve, and enhance Edmond’s regional urban forest and overall environment through outreach, active forest resource management, and sustainable environmental stewardship as Edmond grows and develops.
About the position:
- Deliver Urban Forestry’s services to citizens by performing tree risk assessments, coordinating contractors, and arranging tree plantings.
- Help manage the City’s trees by identifying their maintenance needs.
- Make sure newly planted trees are cared for so that they successfully become established.
- Contribute ideas to help develop urban forestry programs, and services and serve as a key leader to providing these to Edmond citizens.
- Help administer Edmond landscape and tree ordinances by performing plan reviews, inspections, and interacting with industry professionals.
- This position is primarily an office position, but portions of most days will be in the field.
- Limited remote work may be possible after learning the job.
Advantages and Benefits:
- Your work has a direct, positive impact on the Edmond community and environment.
- Besides a safe, stable, learning environment, you get a generous benefits package for our health, vision, dental, and wellbeing.
- We have a dedicated, on-site, medical clinic that is no cost to employees and covered dependents for the services and Rx they provide.
- We earn time off for vacation and sick leave; we have paid holidays, longevity, and retirement for our future.
- Our pay period is every two weeks.
- Annual step increases based upon performance.
- This position is very rewarding for a person interested in trees and improving the physical environment for our citizens.
- You will work with staff who are leaders in their prospective field, working in a collaborative environment to develop innovative urban forestry programs.
- Enjoy flexibility in your daily schedule with the ability to prioritize work tasks yourself.
- High school degree or GED equivalent, plus night, trade extension or correspondence school specialized training equal to two years of college, plus 12-18 months of related training and or experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma Divers License and a Driving record acceptable to the City’s Insurance carrier.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Landscape Architecture, Urban Forestry or Horticulture, or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Must have or obtain within one year of employment, International Society of Arboriculture certification. The City will provide coaching and resources to make this achievable.
- Must understand and demonstrate the City’s Mission (Trustworthy Service, through Continuous Improvement) and Core Values.
- Must be able to identify local tree species and have knowledge of tree biology and structure.
- Must be able to read, follow maps, and use GPS and GIS systems.
- Must have flexibility to work after hours, weekends, holidays, and storms, as needed. Subject to being on-call on a regular basis.
- Screenings - Pass a detailed background investigation, physical examination, hearing exam, and drug screening.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED
Back to Job Listings