Location: Springfield, MO
Salary: $16.23/hr. - $23.13/hr.
The City of Springfield's Department of Public Works is seeking qualified applicants for an Arborist (with option to underfill as Arborist Trainee) in the Public Grounds division.
As an Arborist, you will be responsible for trimming, felling, and caring for trees as well as operating a variety of vehicles and other equipment. As a member of an Arborist Crew, you will take part in caring for over 15,000 public trees, 25 acres of landscaped street medians and parkways, and 65 acres of city facilities and other properties throughout the City. Additionally, Public Grounds cares for the trees and grounds of Hazelwood Cemetery, a 60 acre cemetery with over 44,000 grave spaces.
The City is committed to working with the community to provide ethical and responsible services so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of living and working in Springfield. Public Grounds is responsible for the design, planning, planting, and management of vegetation along city right-of-ways, facility grounds and beautification projects within Springfield. Our primary goal is to effectively manage these areas of responsibility to provide a safe environment and a higher quality of life for our residents and visitors. For more information, please visit our website.
Experience, Education, and Training
- Requires at least three years of experience in performing arboriculture principles and techniques consistent with the accepted practices outlined by the International Society of Arboriculture such as tree planting, tree pest/disease identification, tree trimming, rigging, tree identification, transplanting, etc.;
- Candidate must pass appropriate skills test.
- A valid Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with airbrakes endorsement at time of hire.
- Must obtain and maintain A valid Class “A” Commercial Driver’s license (CDL) with tanker endorsement depending on work assignment.
- Must pass written portion of class A exam within 90 days of employment and skills test portion within the probationary period
- Must possess and maintain depending on department assignment within the probationary period:
- A valid State Public Operator's License (Ornamental and Turf Category or Right of Way);
- CPR and First Aide Certification;
- A valid International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist certificate;
- A Tree Care Industry Association Electrical Hazard Awareness Program certification.
Back to Job Listings