Arborist / Tree worker
Location: Durham, NC
Salary: $46,103.00 - $55,323.60 plus benefits
Work, Serve, Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
The General Services Department's innovative, highly qualified, service-oriented individuals support the City we love.
Hiring Range: $46,103.00 - $55,323.60
Work Days/Hours: Monday - Friday
6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Position devoted to maintaining Durham’s tree assets for the benefit of the community by working with a team. Responsibilities include planting, pruning and removing trees in public areas. Duties include working aloft (operating aerial lifts and climbing), running ropes, saws and lowering devices, and working from the ground, (operating tools and equipment) in the loading, hauling and disposing of debris, grinding stumps, chipping brush and providing labor and professional inputs on other tree-related service requests as needed. Position is required to participate in after-hour and weekend standby and recall duty for tree emergencies. Position is considered “essential” and must report for duty during inclement weather.
- Performs aerial tree work from a lift or accessed through climbing.
- Supports groundwork through roping, lowering and project coordination.
- Operates equipment related to tree work, including but not limited to brush chipper, stump grinder, bucket truck, backhoe, knuckle-boom loader, tandem dump truck with trailer, skid steer, tree auger, boom truck, blower, chainsaw, pole saw, rope, rope brake, lowering devices and other tools and equipment as necessary.
- Supports proper care and custody of equipment and tools by conducting vehicle and equipment pre-trip inspections; cleaning components; monitoring and replenishing fluids; performing basic corrective repairs; may prepare paperwork for major repairs.
- Preventative maintenance of equipment and tools will include chainsaw sharpening, and inspection and maintenance on rope and rigging components to include lowering devices, blocks and slings.
- Safely performs all work zone traffic control duties including setting up barricades, traffic cones, and signs; flagging traffic for stationary and moving work zones.
- Safely performs all loading, hauling, delivery and off-loading of equipment, trees and tree debris, wood chips, soil, and nursery material.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED, HiSet, TASC).
- One (1) year of additional technical training in the area of assignment.
- Four (4) years of equipment operation/driving experience or technical maintenance experience related to assignment.
- Valid North Carolina Class A Commercial Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record.
- Must complete job related and/or safety training based on assignment, such as (but not limited to) aerial rescue training, electrical hazard awareness, first aid training, CPR, and bloodbourne pathogen training.
- This position is critical to emergency operations and will report to work in spite of or because of an emergency or disaster event.
Back to Job Listings