Location: Austin, TX
Apply using this link:
Provide basic tree work to maintain the health and appearance of The University of Texas at Austin campus urban forest.
Job offer contingent upon applicant clearing a background check, successful completion of WorkSTEPS assessment, and receiving an acceptable driver's rating. Hours may vary based on water restrictions, seasonal changes, campus events, and emergencies. May require overtime with minimum notice. Applications will be reviewed online by the hiring supervisor.
- Performs tree care duties: Pruning, fertilizing, spraying, removing, stump grinding, inspecting, brush hauling, and planting.
- Safely operates specialized arboricultural equipment (to include chain saws, saddles, ladders, aerial lift devices, tractors, skid loaders, brush truck, dump trucks, stump grinders, sprayers, injectors, and other heavy equipment.)
- Controls traffic around work site, answers questions, and provides information on urban forestry activities.
- Maintains and cleans all equipment and filters, keeps blades sharp, and reports other maintenance needs to the campus urban forester.
- When applicable, leads a small crew and provides training in the performance of skilled tree care duties designed to promote overall tree health.
- Cleans, maintains, and operates university vehicles and equipment, and maintains acceptable driver rating as established in UTS157 Policy.
- Follows and readily accepts oral and written instructions related to tree work, maintains work schedule set by the campus urban forester, and completes routine paperwork.
- Wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for the task, follows safety rules, and maintains safe working conditions.
High school graduation or GED. Three years of experience in tree maintenance work. Experience following basic work instructions. Ability to pull, push and lift up to 50 lbs. Capable of working in all types of environmental conditions. A valid Class "C" Operator's Driver License. Applicant selected must provide a current three year Driving Record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, must obtain a Texas Driver's License within 30 days after entering Texas as a new resident.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Completion of courses or training in arboriculture. ISA certified tree worker and/or certified Arborist credentials. More than three years experience as an arborist in a commercial or institutional setting. Experience operating specialized arboricultural equipment, such as chain saws, aerial lift devices, chippers, stump grinders, sprayers, tractors, skid loaders, dump trucks, and other equipment used in tree maintenance work. Demonstrate effective communication skills, Demonstrate ability to effectively work in a team environment. Stable work history. A valid Class "B" Commercial Driver License.
This job requires a class "C" operator's driver's license. The applicant selected must provide a current three year driving record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, a Texas driver's license must be obtained within 30 days of becoming a Texas resident. Employees who are required to have a CDL are subject to drug and alcohol testing (pre-employment, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, random, return-to-duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing).
$38,504 + depending on qualifications
Back to Job Listings