Program Specialist Forestry and Natural Resources
Location: Syracuse, NY
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Onondaga Earth Corps: The Onondaga Earth Corps (OEC) is a youth development and conservation corps program focusing on community and environmental stewardship in the Greater Syracuse Metropolitan Area. OEC enrolls youth and young adults, ages 15 to 25, in “learn & earn” positions to educate the community about the benefits of environmental stewardship through completing environmental and neighborhood improvement projects. OEC has a strong experiential learning and service component, and often completes projects or arranges volunteer service within the community.
Position Overview: The Program Specialist performs many roles and is key to smooth planning and implementation of OEC’s work with youth and young adults, which include community based forestry, natural areas management, green infrastructure maintenance and other special programs. The Program Specialist will be assigned specific project areas to lead and work with a small team of staff and crew members (ages 15-25) responsible for community outreach and events, identifying planting sites, tree planting, watering and caring for trees, monitoring natural areas for undesirable species, and coordinating project work for multiple contracts. Crewmembers are recruited as part of a larger team that works on multiple OEC projects. The position is multi-faceted and demanding, but with opportunities for rewarding achievements, and valuable professional and career growth. Successful candidates will demonstrate high standards, attention to detail, compassion, excellent judgment, and the desire to devote themselves to youth development/mentorship and environmental conservation. The Program Specialist position requires technical aptitude in urban forestry, natural areas management, riparian forest buffer restoration or a similar field. Candidates must also demonstrate a high level of comfort with diverse collaborators and youth, and the ability to work in the outdoors comfortably. This is a staff position therefore the candidate must have high level leadership skills and ability to resolve problems in an efficient but respectful manner.
- 3-5 years of forestry and natural areas project planning and implementation experience.
- Leadership experience, preferably with diverse constituents.
- Previous Conservation or Youth Corps experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in natural resource project planning and implementation.
- NYS CNLP, ISA Arborist Certifications, or similar certifications favorable.
- Physically fit and able to work long days in adverse conditions.
- Good driving record (insurable) and a current driver’s license.
- Ability to safely drive pickup truck with 12-16’ trailer and a 15 passenger van.
- Relevant college coursework or degree preferred.
- Current First Aid or higher and CPR certification preferred.
- OSHA Certification (OSHA 10 required, OSHA 30 preferred) [training may be available post hire]
- Sense of humor, spirit of adventure, and desire to make a positive difference.
- Background check must be completed as position requires working with youth.
- Computer literacy a must. Typing, email literate. Microsoft Office Suite. Google Suite. GIS, Adobe Suite experience preferable but not required.
- Position Title Conservation Corps Program Coordinator Status
- Full-time, Exempt [35-40 hours/week]
- Deadline Submit documentation ASAP
- Start Date ASAP
- Interviews Ongoing
- Compensation Salary commensurate with experience
Please submit (1) a resume,(2) a cover letter, and (3) a completed Program/Employment Application (found online at www.onondagaearthcorps.org or in our offices at SUNY EOC center, 100 New St, Syracuse) Via: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Or USPS mail, or drop off in person in submission box located at: Onondaga Earth Corps 100 New St, Rm 239 Syracuse, NY 13202
Back to Job Listings