Equipment Operator II
Location: Norfolk, VA
Equipment Operator II (Tree Shop)
$29,391.00 - $47,962.00 Annually
Recreation, Parks & Open Space
The City of Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is currently seeking an Equipment Operator II within the Division of Parks & Urban Forestry. The Equipment Operator II will be responsible for operating various equipment to include surf rakes, backhoes, front end loaders, dump trucks, and maintainers. The incumbent will also operate mowers, tractors, forklifts, and other motorized equipment in grounds maintenance operations..
Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is proud to announce it has been awarded national accreditation by the Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies. This ensures we will continue to provide quality recreational services that enrich the lives of Norfolk's residents.
Departmental Hiring Salary Range: $29,391 to $33,799
- Essential Functions
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains grounds and right of ways by collecting and delivering trash containers, mowing grass, raking leaves, digging holes, planting, pruning and maintaining trees and flower beds, mixing and applying chemicals, loading and applying mulch, weed eating, trimming, performing general care of landscape, grading athletic fields for game play, installing and maintaining turf, removing trees, grinding tree stumps, identifying plants and trees, cleaning up job sites, hauling topsoil, grading, removing snow, aerating lawns, cutting grass, trimming trees, removing dead limbs, removing storm damage, cutting back weeds, picking up and removing litter, refuse and debris from vacant lots.
- Performs safety checks and minor preventative maintenance on equipment, including but not limited to, checking fluids, changing blades and daily inspections to insure equipment is safe to operate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
Two years experience as an Equipment Operator or successful completion of a City apprenticeship program.
- Additional Information & Requirements
Valid driver's license required.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Two years of experience in the operation of machinery needed for grounds maintenance and horticulture.
- The ability to obtain a Virginia Pesticide license within six months of employment.
Work Hours: The Forestry Division is currently on an alternate work schedule; 4-day work week at 40 hours. Work hours may change seasonally.
- City of Norfolk
Back to Job Listings