Safety Observers for Vegetation Management - Electric Transmission & Power Lines
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Salary: $45-60/hr DOE
ERM is hiring Safety Observers for Vegetation Management - Electric Transmission & Power Linesfor the Southern California Area. This is a full-time, project-based opportunity focused on providing contractor safety management support, including: inspecting, observing, advising, and coaching related to safe work practices for vegetation management along electric transmission and distribution right-of ways. This safety management support will focus mainly on ensuring safe work practices related to work around energized electric transmission and power lines, vegetation clearing, tree felling, snag removal, tree topping (working at heights), fall protection, chipping, heavy equipment use and related activities in support of vegetation management for right-of-way maintenance.
As a Safety Observer, you will engage with client and contractor team members in the field to facilitate safe work practices, identify hazards and advise mitigations, embrace client safety culture expectations, adhere to applicable project permits, and assist contractors to maintain compliance with the client’s Contractor Safety Program elements and other applicable safety regulations/requirements by local, state, and federal safety agencies. This position works to promote a safe work environment by confirming that contractors and the project team, at a minimum, clearly understand the roles and responsibilities related to work at heights, arborist safety, heavy equipment safe practices, hand-held tool safety; identifying known hazards; and communicating policies, standards, and procedures applicable to the work. The role includes responsibility of timely notification to management and the safety team about any safety issues.
The below physical demands and work environment are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Adequate physical ability and mobility to work in an outdoor field environment in remote locations;
- Walking, standing and operating a motor vehicle for prolonged periods of time;
- Travel from site to site, including: walking/hiking on various surfaces including flat, dry, wet, slippery, uneven, rough, steep terrain, hills and slopes;
- Exposure to noise, dust, smoke and all types of weather and temperature conditions;
- Operate assigned field equipment, including handheld computer, smart phone, and beacon.
- Promote safety during vegetation management activities, including tree trimming, removal and felling, crane removal of downed trees, and traffic control activities.
- Initiate and/or participate in safety kick-off, periodic or daily safety meetings with contractors.
- Function as Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations and ordinances, including, but not limited to, DOT, EPA, OSHA, Cal/OSHA, ANSI, and CPUC.
- Serve as SME on ANSI Z133 for “Arboricultural Operations – Safety Requirements”
- Perform safety field observations as established by the frequency and level for each contractor and subcontractor in accordance with the contractor’s client accepted site safety and project safety plans and job hazards analysis.
- Provide on-site occupational safety support to identify, prevent, and mitigate safety risks.
- Document and retain safety documents in accordance with client requirements.
- Assign and/or coordinate with team members to address corrective actions, and communicate as appropriate with team members to prevent repeat occurrences.
- Receive safety-related questions and provide reliable feedback and instruction.
- Share safety information to all in an impactful, constructive, and results-oriented manner.
- Communicate safety trends and recommend safety corrective actions.
- Prepare safety observation and improvement reports to Management and/or client following an incident or high-potential consequence near miss.
- Support compliance with applicable programs (e.g., PPE, work at height, and electric stand-off procedures).
- Capable of identifying existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings or working conditions that pose mitigating risk or danger to employees and the public.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in construction, vegetation management, or safety within the power utility sector.
- Ability to wear appropriate PPE and meet physical demands as outlined above
- Experience in field safety oversight.
- Have previous training, knowledge, or experience related to the work to be performed and knowledge of the appropriate mitigation measures for the associated hazards.
- Proficient in applicable Cal/OSHA safety regulations and requirements.
- Proficient in ANZI Z133.
- Successful candidates must pass the following pre-employment requirements prior to beginning employment: drug screen, background check.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record. Proof of current motor vehicle record may be requested.
- Must be approved by client and allowed to work on client property.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred, including ability to lead daily site safety meetings.
- Experience working in or overseeing field activities requiring qualified line clearance arborists (QLCAs).
- Certified Utility Safety Professional (CUSP).
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification, or similar.
- Certified Treecare Safety Professional (CTSP).
- ISA Certified Arborist.
- Technical expertise including, but not limited to lifting/rigging , working from heights, heavy equipment safety, personal protective grounding, minimum approach distances.
- Specialized experience overseeing and inspecting construction contractors working near high voltage electrical power lines, in support of vegetation management in utility right of ways.
- Have formal training to identify and mitigate hazards associated with specific high-risk activities.
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services. We have more than 160 offices in over 40 countries and territories employing more than 4,500 people who work on projects around the world. ERM is committed to providing a service that is consistent, professional and of the highest quality to create value for our clients. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing.
For over 40 years we have been working with clients around the world and in diverse industry sectors to help them to understand and manage their environmental, health, safety, risk and social impacts. The key sectors we serve include Oil & Gas, Mining, Power, and Manufacturing, Chemical and Pharmaceutical. All face critical sustainability challenges and our clients in these and many other areas rely on our ability to assist them operate more sustainably which has a positive impact on our planet.
Our people are outstanding, our workplace is energized! And we continuously strive to be the preferred place for environmental and other professionals to build meaningful and rewarding careers.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back to Job Listings