Arborist/Senior Arborist-$1,000 Sign On Incentive-Zoning Division
Location: Orlando, Florida
Salary: Arborist $59,929-$91,083/Annually based on policy - Senior Arborst $66,144 - $86,008/Annually based on policy
Job ID: 33203
How to apply
Number of available positions: (3) three
Orange County Zoning Division is seeking a highly motivated individual to serve as an Arborist or Senior Arborist depending on qualifications. This position is responsible for independent reviews and decision-making in applying the Landscaping, Buffering and Open Space (Landscape) Code, Chapter 24, and the Environmental Control Tree Protection and Removal (Arbor) Code, Chapter 15, to proposed projects and properties within Orange County. Performs field work involving inspections of new landscaping installation for permits, tree removal permits, and for violations of the Landscape or Arbor Code. Responsible for both plan reviews and onsite inspections of the work.
Work is performed independently under the general supervision of a Chief Planner. This position coordinates the accomplishment of specialized arboriculture and performs on-going planning responsibilities with limited supervision. Performance is reviewed through observations, conferences, reports and results achieved.
Duties may vary based on area of assignment. The following are representative duties, it is not the intent to capture all duties performed by this classification.
- Reviews landscape and related plans in conjunction with construction permits and planned developments for compliance with Code and Board required conditions of approval.
- Reviews Tree Surveys and Mitigation plans and calculates mitigation in conjunction with construction permits, mass grading, subdivision and planned development submittals.
- Conducts field inspections for permits in relation to landscape installation and all tree removal/clearing violation notices.
- Answers tree removal and landscaping code questions for developers, contractors and the general public.
- Assists Chief Planners and other division staff in providing technical expertise.
- Presents to the Code Enforcement Board violations of tree removals, land clearing activities as well as landscape code violations, if applicable.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, trainings, and orientations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All of the duties of an Arborist, plus the following:
- Attends and conducts meetings with various professional and community groups.
- Leads cross-sectional work teams and assists the Chief Planner in supervising the arborists. Acts as the Chief Planner in their absence.
- Performs project management responsibilities independently.
- Assists in preparation for, response to, and recovery from, the impacts of a wide variety of disasters or emergency situations and may be temporarily assigned to other duties, locations, and shifts.
Arborist: Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Arboriculture, Forestry, Landscape Architecture or a closely related field and two years of experience in arboriculture, forestry, landscape architecture or closely related field; or certification by the American Society of Horticulture Science (Horticulture) or and four years of specified experience.
Senior Arborist: Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and six (6) years of experience in arboriculture, forestry, landscape architecture or closely related field. A Master's degree may substitute for two (2) years of specified experience. Or, an American Society of Horticulture Science (ASHS) Certified Horticulturist, International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist or other equivalent certification and eight (8) years of specified experience or American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLSA) Registered Landscape Architect license and eight (8) years of specified experience.
Arborist: Certified Arborist or Registered Landscape Architect (capable of obtaining State of Florida Registration within one year of employment).
Senior Arborist: Degree in Arboriculture, Forestry, Landscape Architecture or a closely related field. Designation as an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist or ability to obtain within one (1) year of employment. Registered Landscape Architect or the ability to obtain a State of Florida Registration within one (1) year of employment.
Arborist: $59,929 - $91,083 / Annually (based on qualifications)
Senior Arborist : $66,144 - $86,008 / Annually (based on qualifications)
201 S. Rosalind Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32801
Back to Job Listings