Park Technician I
Location: Manhattan, KS
Job Type: Full-time
Description: (Regular, Non-Exempt)
Starting Salary Range: $20.29 - $24.36/hour, DOQ
Closing Date: When Filled
How to apply: Using the “apply now” button at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1625094 , please complete the required online application, upload a resume and a list of three professional references with full contact information. For general questions about the position, contact Buffy Starkey at (785) 587-2445 or email@example.com.
The City of Manhattan values diversity and draws strength from the diversity of the team. The City is committed to providing opportunities for all employees to succeed by creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. The City is always seeking qualified Minority, Veteran, Women and Disabled applicants to fill available employment vacancies. The City of Manhattan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Park Technician I is responsible for a wide variety of tasks that can include, but is not limited to, the maintenance of trees, turf, shrubs, flowers, trails, and equipment, as well as construction and maintenance of buildings, facilities, grounds, and roads. The Park Technician will be expected to assist in off-hour emergencies such as floods, tornadoes, snow removal, or similar occurrences.
Maintains an overall professional appearance of properties and facilities through the proper practices of debris removal, and maintenance of landscapes, turf, trees, trails, buildings, and facilities.
- Mows, maintains turf, trims, seeds, and fertilizes City areas.
- Maintains accurate records such as maintenance logs and activity records via the use of mobile and stationary electronic devices such as computers, iPads, and tablets.
- Works and communicates with staff, contractors, and interacts with property owners and the public during park and street tree maintenance.
- Works alongside other Park Technicians and crews to complete tasks and help maintain Parks & Recreation facilities within own section and/or other sections via cross training.
- Maintains sectional safety protocols through proper use of tools, equipment and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Maintains a safety-oriented work zone through proper use of safety procedures such as lockout-tagout, safe distance awareness, trench safety, confined space protocol, traffic control procedures, etc.
Operates maintenance tools and equipment, such as excavators, skid steers, dump trucks, one-ton service trucks, aerial trucks, tractors, mowers, saws, handheld tools, etc.
- Repairs/clears/improves trails and equipment, rebuilding bridges along trails, grades trails, etc.
- Consistently ensures all division equipment and vehicles are in proper operating condition to safely perform tasks prior to use. This includes but is not limited to, assisting in general equipment maintenance, adhering to maintenance schedules, checking oil levels, changing/sharpening blades, lubricating equipment, and performing safety inspections.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists with projects as needed.
- Remains flexible to work any day of the week, as schedules may change with duties as assigned, and responds to after-hour callbacks and emergencies.
- Ensures interns and seasonal employees are trained and aware of duties.
- Assists with operational exercises and/or special events occasionally.
- Provides custodial/sanitation duties as needed.
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable)
- Provide worksite supervision and training to interns and seasonal employees.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate degree and/or applicable certificate program
- Possession of one applicable license or certification as determined by section responsibilities.
- One year of experience in Park, Facility, Arboriculture, and/or Landscape Maintenance
1101 Poyntz Ave
Manhattan, Kansas 66502
Back to Job Listings