Urban Forestry Manager
Location: City of Jacksonville, Florida
Salary: $32.69 - $37.50 Hourly or $68,000.00 - $78,000.00 Annually.
- Job Description
Are you looking for a position with a work/life balance? Do you want to earn four weeks off during your first year of employment? Do you want low and no cost health insurance options? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need to complete your application now. Work for the city you love!!!
The Public Works Department is actively seeking a Urban Forestry Manager.
Did you know as a City of Jacksonville employee, you would also have 12 paid holidays and a personal leave day as well? In addition, to health insurance, dental, vision, life insurance and flexible spending plans are also available. City of Jacksonville employees are also eligible for Federal Student Loan Forgiveness after 10 years of public service and on-time payments.
As the Urban Forestry Manager, you’ll oversee the tree population for the largest city in the continental US. Here in Jacksonville, you’ll be promoting the benefits of trees, maintaining our urban forest to ensure diversity of age and species, conducting research, and working with the support with our local community leaders. You’ll take on the central role of running our critical forestry program, manage our tree planting, and ensuring a safe environment by removing hazardous vegetation.
Join the City of Jacksonville and be a part of the team to enlarge and improve the urban tree canopy to maximize the economic, ecological, and social benefits of trees for our community!
Please note the salary range for this position is: $32.69 - $37.50 Hourly or $68,000.00 - $78,000.00 Annually.
- Examples of Work
- Develops and maintains an overall enhanced urban forestry program including internal policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains a systematic approach to urban forestry management.
- Oversees and administers special projects and grants related to urban forestry.
- Acts as the City Council liaison and interdepartmental liaison for urban forestry issues.
- Schedules, assigns, reviews and evaluates the work of assigned staff and contractors.
- Oversees the development and urban forestry education and outreach programs.
- Oversees the annual audit to the City Council on the urban forestry program.
- Oversees estimates for costs, materials, labor, and time for planting, removing and maintaining trees.
- Networks with urban forestry and development trade industry professionals.
- Recommends, develops and administers urban forestry maintenance plans, policies and procedures.
- Oversees the maintenance of a database and inventory of the City's trees.
- Oversees the preparation of an annual report on the on the City's urban forestry program to the City Council.
- Communicates clear direction, manages for results and leads organizational change.
- Assigns responsibility, takes corrective action, demonstrates leadership in evaluating, developing, and motivating employees.
- Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
- A Bachelor's degree in urban forestry, horticulture, arboriculture or a related field and four years of professional experience in urban forestry or a directly related field is required.
- Must possess a certification from the International Society of Arboriculture as an ISA Certified Arborist.
- Must possess and maintain a FL Class E Driver's License.
- Must qualify for prior to appointment, obtain and maintain a City of Jacksonville Public Driver's License.
A FULLY COMPLETED ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net. Work history is required for all employment/volunteer work in which qualifications are being based. When meeting/basing qualifications on education, a copy of your college transcript, with your social blacked out, is required with your application. Transcripts do not need to be official, but must state your name, the school’s name, classes taken, grades received, type of degree, and date degree was conferred.
The application system works best with Google Chrome or Edge with Chromium web browsers. Please try to apply using one of these browsers. Be sure to add coj.net to your safe senders list to ensure you receive email notifications. You may also track the status of your application and see notifications by logging into your account.
Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and the family members of such service members and veterans, receive preference and priority, and certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment and are encouraged to apply for positions being filled.
If claiming veteran's preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. You must also attach the Veterans Preference Certification Form and if applicable, the additional forms as noted here: http://www.coj.net/departments/employee-services/veterans-preference
If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran’s preference, he or she may file a written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Attention: Veterans’ Preference Coordinator
11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311-K
Largo, FL 33778-1630
609 St Johns Bluff Rd N Jacksonville, FL 32225
Jacksonville, Florida , Florida 32225
Back to Job Listings