Location: New York, NY
CITY OF NEW YORK PARKS & RECREATION CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE: Job ID No. 499467
Office Title: Forester Civil Service Title: Forester Title Code No: 81361 Level: II Salary: $59,497 Number of Positions: TBD Work Location: TBD
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture, and Natural Resources is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure. The division is responsible for citywide urban forestry, ecological and horticulture initiatives.
• Under general supervision, perform advanced professional forestry functions in the field and office; perform related work.
• Enforce Parks Department standards for tree pruning, removal, planting and replacement. Assess work to be done by contractors; engage in directly and supervise employees involved in professional forestry activities.
• Consult with engineers, developers and contractors on a regular basis throughout projects.
• Schedule and supervise field surveys and inspections to assess the conditions of trees for health, structure, insect and disease.
• Compile and manage street tree planting contracts. Survey sites for planting potential and make decisions regarding species selection and site design. Inspect and tag trees at local nurseries. Perform post-planting field inspections and inspect trees
• Respond to citizen inquiries and maintain working relationships with community boards, community groups and officials within and outside of the agency. Coordinate community-based greening efforts and lead tree stewardship workshops.
• Examine other agency and permit applications to assess impact on trees and landscapes and/or issue tree planting permits.
• Manage borough-wide tree database and track, monitor and produce reports on budgets, productivity, accomplishments and program status updates.
1. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and one year of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
3. An associate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and three years of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
4. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above. However, all candidates must have at least an associate degree with a specialization in forestry or a related subject.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
A Motor Vehicle driver's license valid in the State of New York. Serious moving violations, license suspension or accident record may disqualify you. This license must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
1. Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
2. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience working with the public.
3. Ability to work independently.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 499467.
Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 499467.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 499467 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Forester OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 499467.
POST DATE: 11/05/21 POST UNTIL: FILLED
NOTE: References will be required upon request.
New York, New York 11368
Back to Job Listings