Forestry Technician II
Location: Franklin, TN
Forestry Technician II
109 3rd Ave S
United States of America
PAY: $22.95/hour - $24.98/hour
I. Purpose of Job
Under general supervision uses comprehensive knowledge to perform work associated with the planting, care and maintenance, and removal of trees on City-owned property, parks, and rights-of-way. This job requires the use of specialized equipment associated with urban forestry.
II. Essential Job Duties
A. Tree Maintenance
- Operates various equipment and tools which are used for daily tree work projects.
- Operates all equipment and tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Daily communication with Urban Forestry Supervisor
- Knowledge of principles, procedures, and methods of arboriculture
- Ability to make appropriate decisions regarding diseased and potentially hazardous trees.
- Performs heavy manual labor on varied assignments
- Implements work zone safety procedures.
- Leads pruning and maintaining trees on city property, parks, and right-of-way.
- Leads planting, transplanting, watering, fertilization, mulching projects.
B. Maintains and transports equipment
- Performs general inspections of all equipment including fluids, belts, and filters.
- Performs general maintenance of all equipment including cleaning, greasing, sharpening.
- Clean and maintain all work and equipment storage areas.
- Loads and unloads all equipment for transporting to work sites.
III. Other Job Duties
Performs other job duties as assigned, including:
- Assisting with general landscape or turf maintenance activities.
- Assist with preparing parks for special events
- Perform related duties and responsibilities to assist other
employees in the department as required.
IV. Primary Job Challenges
Primary challenges of this position include:
- Understanding good arboriculture practices.
- Being able to work with and maintain a wide variety of trees.
V. Equipment Operated
Operates and maintains chainsaws, pole saws, woodchippers, stump grinders, bucket truck, chip truck, aerial lift devices, commercial-grade lawn mower, string trimmer, and blowers
VI. Key Competencies Required
Has general knowledge of policies, procedures, and activities of the City, landscape and construction practices as they pertain to the performance of duties related to this position. Is able to determine and decide upon procedures to be implemented in maintaining safety codes and standards, and resolving problems. Knows how to determine and ensure the safety of work sites. Is skilled in the operation of a variety of equipment utilized in the performance of assigned duties. Is knowledgeable of the language and terminology used within the department.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out multi-step instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems by choosing from several known choices with frequent reliance on how problems were dealt with before.
- Teamwork: Develops constructive and cooperative working relationships with others. Encourages others to express their ideas and opinions. Provides input into identifying and solving problems. Anticipates the need of others for information about job tasks and work environment and provides it to them in a timely manner. Willingly assists others with job tasks when appropriate.
VII. Physical Demands and Work Environment
Physical Demands: Performance of the essential duties of this job requires the incumbent to:
- Regularly stand.
- Regularly walk.
- Regularly use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Regularly reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly climb or balance.
- Occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Occasionally talk or hear.
- Regularly lift up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift up to 100 pounds.
Work Environment: Performance of the essential duties of this job requires:
- Regular Work near moving mechanical parts
- Regular work in high, precarious places
- Regular exposure to fumes or airborne particles
- Occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals
- Regular exposure to outdoor weather conditions
- Regular exposure to vibration.
The work environment is loud (examples: metal can manufacturing department, large earth-moving equipment).
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through attainment of a High School diploma or GED, plus two (2) years related tree trimming experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to operate various types of tree operations equipment (Bucket Truck, Chipper Truck, and Chain Saws)
Certifications: TN Driver’s License, CDL License Required
Back to Job Listings