Urban Community Forester
Location: Cleveland, OH
Urban Community Forester
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is searching for an Urban Community Forester to join our team. The Urban Community Forester conducts scientifically based management and conducts outreach to restore the aesthetic, environmental, and economic values of trees and forests to communities in northeast Ohio and the Great Lakes region. The Urban Community Forester engages in scientifically based forest management techniques to advance conservation objectives internally, and to model appropriate conservation actions to external audiences including landowners, urban foresters, policy makers and the public in both urban and suburban settings. He/she advocates for the many values of trees and forests, participates in partnerships among public and private interests that protect, conserve, and nurture trees and forests in their communities.
The Urban Community Forester works to establish Holden as the regional focal point where municipalities, institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in forest conservation can come for best management guidelines and knowledge. The position serves an extension type role through active engagement in forestry in primarily urban and suburban settings, and by sharing that knowledge and expertise with the community to enhance region wide urban forest conservation efforts.
HF&G is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions — Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. When you join HF&G, you join a team of professionals who are passionate about improving Northeast Ohio’s communities through our mission-driven programs. By joining HF&G, you will have the opportunity to work in a beautiful setting and can contribute to our fulfilling and groundbreaking work.
The Urban Community Forester will be based at Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, Ohio with occasional cross-campus working at Cleveland Botanical Garden in University Circle. The Urban Community Forester will:
Community Outreach and Engagement:
<>···········May take part in tree maintenance workshops or efforts focused on pruning, after planting care, or pest and disease management.
Performs other activities as required:
<>·Participates in organizational planning and special event committees as appropriate.
- Maintains positive relationships with appropriate local, state, and national professional organizations through participation on boards and communities and, through participation and presentations at professional meetings.
<>··ISA Certified Arborist strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, urban forestry, environmental studies, or closely related field.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in urban and/or community forestry planning and implementation
- Strong communication skills along with a proven record of public presentation and education activities and media experience
- An outgoing personality energized by public contact.
- Ability to assimilate and translate into common language a considerable body of tree and related information, including the latest research findings.
(Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Read/write/speak/understand English sufficiently to communicate over the telephone, in person and electronically.
- Ascend/descend stairs on occasion and travel by foot on unpaved or uneven terrain to transport oneself to various locations on arboretum property.
- Lift up to 15 pounds
- Reach, kneel, bend and twist at waist, bend at knees, crouch, see, hear, touch, grasp objects, push, pull and sit.
- Travel by automobile as necessary to attend meetings and events.
- Evening and weekend work as needed.
- Work independently on diverse tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with Holden staff, enlisting cooperation across program areas, and with outside parties, including collaborators and contractors, in all relevant areas.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing (accurate and concise), to the general public and specialized professional audiences.
- Represent HF&G to its supporters and constituents credibly, enthusiastically, and professionally.
- Skill, experience, and temperament for collaboration, negotiation, and decision-making, including promoting teamwork within a program area, interdepartmentally and with outside partners.
- Appreciation for the importance of the work of arboreta, public gardens, and museums
- Quantitatively and analytically skilled, and attentive to detail
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit résumé to:
Holden Forests & Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Back to Job Listings