Consulting Utility Forester
Location: Yreka, CA
Please apply here: https://acrt.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/ACRT_Careers/job/Yreka-CA/Consulting-Utility-Forester---Yreka--CA_R2930-1
Performs identification, inspection, and evaluation of trees and brush along utility lines and submits inspection results to clients with recommendations. Plans, directs, and coordinates the activities of assigned tree clearance crews. Discusses and negotiates line-clearance crew access issues, and serves as a liaison between clients, tree crews, and client customers.
- 80% or more outdoors in various climate conditions
- Occasional: sitting, standing, bending [waist], squatting
- Lifting and carrying –never: 26-100 lbs.
- Carrying – frequent: 0-10 lbs; occasional: 0-25 lbs; never: 26-100 lbs
- Heaviest item carried: Hand held computer weighing 2.5 lbs and/or maps with a clip board.
- Distance to be carried: Items are carried the entire time employees are walking in the field
Duties & Responsibilities
Essential & Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patrols distribution and/or transmission circuits and prescribes work to be performed by client tree trimming contractor, determines when the next trim is required, notifies property owners of tree trimming and tree and brush removal work to be performed relating to client specifications, manages the issuance of work and tracks work progress, maps circuits using client continuity lists, performs outage investigations and, when necessary, obtains permits from public agencies and documents work.
- Enters tree trimming and tree and brush removal prescription into hand-held computer or other similar systems, and uses computers and associated software to perform duties.
- Audits tree trimming and tree removal work completed by the tree trimming contractor in the field to ensure compliance with work request forms and approved tree trimming standards.The CUF shall complete post audit forms indicating adequacy of the tree trimming and tree removal work, and forward the completed forms to the vegetation management program manager or coordinator.
- Maintain working relationships with local client personnel as well as all relevant federal, state and local governmental agencies with which it may become necessary to interact with during the course of performing their prescribed vegetation management duties.
- Complies with all regulatory requirements and client vegetation management standards.
- May be required to participate in public presentations and meetings.
- Attains certification as an Arborist through the International Society of Arboriculture within thirty (30) months upon being assigned as a CUF.
- As requested by the SCUF or Manager, performs all necessary duties for emergency response in accordance with all safety requirements, law and regulations, and applicable labor agreements.
- Adheres to personal appearance standards and makes a positive personal impression on others.Adheres to attendance policies and faithful in coming when scheduled and conforms to work hour requirements.
- Conducts work in a safety-conscious manner as not to endanger themselves or others.Keeps the work area [office and/or company vehicle] neat, orderly, and professional in appearance.If applicable, ensures maintenance on company vehicles is done in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knows and exemplifies ACRT’s Guiding Principles.
- Other duties as required.
Equipment, environmental and safety requirements:
- Driving cars, trucks
- Walking on uneven ground
- Exposure to excessive noise
- Exposure to extremes in temperature, humidity, or wetness
- Operation of foot controls or repetitive foot movement
- Exposure to dust, gas, fumes, chemicals
- Various forestry-related equipment, including but not limited to DBH tape and various safety-related equipment such as hard hat, safety vest, safety glasses, etc.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree or experience in Forestry, Horticulture, Arboriculture, Environmental Studies, Conservation, Natural Resources or related fields.
- ISA Certification and utility vegetation management experience a plus, but not required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office [Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook] or similar software suite.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Minimum age of 21.
Job Desirables (Education, Requisite Experience, Training, Certifications, Licensing, etc.)
- See Line of Progression Chart below
- Ability to identify local trees and knowledge of growth rates.
- Ability to learn and use company- or job-specific software systems
- Ability to work in rugged terrain and inclement weather.
- Ability to read and follow maps.
- Ability to drive and operate a 4x4 vehicle.
- Accountability: accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Accuracy and work quality: performs work completely, correctly, and in a professional manner.
- Adaptability and flexibility: meets the changing conditions and situations in work responsibilities.
- Communications: possesses strong verbal and written communication skills and is able to present ideas in formal and informal
- Creativity: possesses ability to develop and present new ideas and better ways of doing things.
- Dependability: is reliable and has the ability to do required jobs.
- Drive and achievement orientation: sets challenging goals for self and willingly puts in extra time and effort in crisis situations.
- Independence: possesses the ability to work independently.
- Interpersonal skills: builds constructive and effective relationships.
- Job knowledge: possesses sufficient skill and knowledge to perform all aspects of the job.
- Physical fitness: possesses the ability to work consistently and with only moderate fatigue.
- Positive attitude: displays optimism about the work to be done and demonstrates a positive attitude towards customers, peers, and the company.
- Quantity of work: generates adequate amounts of work based on the job requirements.
- Work comparability: performs work that is comparable to other employees with the same length of service in the same position.
Works with Inside Company:
- All employees and managers
Work with Outside Company:
- Utility management and workforce
- Local officials as needed
Line of Progression
- Week one test, open book; (two opportunities) to be taken after second week of orientation classes. 75% minimum required to pass
- Online safe driver course
- Online safety training
- All CUF1 requirements
- At least 90 days on the job
- ACRT’s Line Clearance Certification Manual
- ISA Arborist
- Substitution of advanced degree, certification, or experience in relevant field may be acceptable.
- All CUF1 and CUF2 requirements
- International Society of Arboriculture Arborist Certification
- Utility Specialist Certification
- Evaluation and SCUF recommendation
CUF4/Arborist or RPF
- All CUF1, CUF2, & CUF3 requirements
- TRAQ or state pesticide certification
- All above plus 3 years industry experience
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
- General Foreman
Back to Job Listings