Location: Nashville, TN
The Arborist Journeyman is part of Plant Operations at Vanderbilt University and is a key individual responsible for maintaining the trees on campus. This individual will be responsible for climbing trees to trim and prune across Vanderbilt campus and disease diagnosis. Reporting directly to the Facilities & Grounds Service Manager. This individual must be able to work in all conditions.
Plant Operations provides facilities support for all construction, renovation, and routine maintenance of University Central space and facilities; housekeeping services for approximately 5.8 million square feet of academic, administrative, residential, and recreational space; grounds care for 330 acres that are a registered arboretum; turf care for athletic fields; and utilities for the University Central and the Medical Center.
Facilities annual budget exceeds $100 million in operating expenses and includes over 400 employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cut dead and excess branches from trees using handsaws, pruning hooks, shears, and clippers
- Climb trees, using climbing rope, hooks and belts, or climb ladders to gain access to the work area
- Prune, cut down, fertilize, and spray trees as directed
- Scrape decayed matter from cavities in trees and fill holes to promote healing and to prevent further deterioration
- Perform general maintenance such as feeding chipper, raking leaves/limbs, sweeping debris, driving a chipper truck and small tractor, picking up trash, planting flowers
- Prune shrubs and hedges as required
- Operate truck-mounted hydraulic lifts, pruners, power saw, and power pruner
- Climb trees using climbing hooks and belts, or by climbing ladders
- Mixing and application of herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, and fungicides
- Storm damage clean-up
- Perform other related tasks as required
This is a full-time position: 40 hours per week. Candidates must be available to work 7 am – 3.30 pm, Monday through Friday and have availability to work out of hours in the case of emergencies.
- High School Diploma or GED is required
- ISA Arborist Certification is preferred
- Three years of experience
- Higher Education experience is preferred
- Must have a valid driver license
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please note, all candidates selected for an offer of employment are subject to pre-employment background checks, which may include but are not limited to, based on the role for which they have been selected: criminal history, education verification, social media review, motor vehicle records, credit history, and professional license verification.
Vanderbilt is a community of talented and diverse staff & faculty!
At Vanderbilt University, our work - regardless of title or role - is in service to an important and noble mission in which every member of our community serves in advancing knowledge and transforming lives on a daily basis. Located in Nashville, Tennessee, on a 330+ acre campus and arboretum dating back to 1873, Vanderbilt is proud to have been named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” as well as a top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area by Forbes for several years running. We welcome those who are interested in learning and growing professionally with an employer that strives to create, foster and sustain opportunities as an employer of choice through:
- Working and growing together as a community of communities... we are One Vanderbilt.
- Providing a work environment where every staff and faculty member can be their authentic and best self, while providing the resources and opportunities to learn and grow.
- Encouraging the development, collaboration, and partnership both internally and externally while fostering the value that every member of the Vanderbilt community can lead and grow regardless of title or position.
We understand you have a choice when choosing where to work and pursue a career. We understand you are unique and have a story. We want to hear it. We encourage you to apply today so that you might become a part of our story.
Apply Online: https://ecsr.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX/requisitions/preview/10000350/?keyword=Arborist+Journeyman
Back to Job Listings