Grounds Supervisor 2, Turf & Trees, Facilities Management
Location: Las Vegas, NV
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Grounds Supervisor 2, Facilities Management [R0122648]
PROFILE of the UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1957, UNLV is a doctoral-degree-granting institution comprised of approximately 31,000 students and more than 3,900 faculty and staff. To date, UNLV has conferred more than 136,000 degrees, producing more than 120,000 alumni around the world. UNLV is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as an R1 research university with very high research activity. The university is committed to recruiting and retaining top students and faculty, educating the region's diversifying population and workforce, driving economic activity through increased research and community partnerships, and creating an academic health center for Southern Nevada that includes the launch of a new UNLV School of Medicine. UNLV is located on a 332-acre main campus and two satellite campuses in Southern Nevada. For more information, visit us on line at: http://www.unlv.edu
COMMITMENT to DIVERSITY
The successful candidate will demonstrate support for diversity, equity and inclusiveness as well as participate in maintaining a respectful, positive work environment.
ROLE of the POSITION
Business Affairs provides the foundation for UNLV to achieve its Top Tier teaching, research, and service goals. Our mission is to advance UNLV’s Top Tier initiatives through support, service, and infrastructure excellence. Stewardship and service are our core values. We responsibly plan and manage the university’s physical, financial, and human resources. We work together to create an environment that helps us fulfill our role as university stewards.
• Creates and implements agronomic plans and calendars for turf, trees, and palms including: herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, fertilization, wetting agents, or plant growth regulators. Develops, coordinates, and presents horticulture, pesticide & equipment operations training according to the Nevada Department of Agriculture and all UNLV policies and procedures. Additionally the Grounds Supervisor 2 operates landscape pesticide equipment and applies fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, plant growth regulators, and soil amendments to palms, trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, or turf grass in compliance with the Nevada Department of Agriculture.
• The Grounds Supervisor 2 will document all pesticide applications by completing daily application logs with appropriate material required by the pesticide label and Nevada Department of Agriculture.
• The Grounds Supervisor 2 will provide planning, scheduling, coordination and inspection for all turf care, tree care, landscape equipment operations, and agronomics operations; to ensure appropriate and sound horticulture practices are met.
• Performs equipment operations related to turf care, aeriation, topdressing, pesticide applications or small landscape projects that would require the understanding and knowledge of commercial landscape equipment operations.
• Creates and provides scheduling for turf mowing operations, sodding projects, aeration, over seeding, and small landscape projects related to renovations and plant installations.
• Purchases necessary tools, products, equipment, chemicals or materials related to turf care, agronomics, or small landscaping projects.
• Assists Facilities Supervisor 2 by providing equipment operation training related to turf, aeration, over seeding, chemical applications, and equipment calibration.
• Maintains Safety Data Sheets for all agronomic products for the turf and tree care divisions.
• Provides the proper communication and notifications to external clients in compliance with Nevada Department of Agriculture and UNLV policies and procedures.
• Schedule is Monday - Friday 6am-2:30pm. Schedule is subject to change dependent upon department needs.
QUALIFICATIONS Graduation from high school or equivalent education and two years of experience performing and supervising a small work unit engaged in general grounds maintenance and turf maintenance; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience; OR one year of experience as a Grounds Supervisor I in Nevada State service SALARY Grade 30 Step 1, salary $41,572.08 "Step" means the number assigned by the Division of Human Resource Management to identify a specific rate of pay within a grade. Per Nevada Administrative Code (NAC 284.170), salaries for initial appointments for classified positions typically begin at Step 1. NOTICE: All UNLV/NSHE employees may be subject to base pay reduction and/or mandatory unpaid leave: (1) by future action of the Board of Regents without a declaration of financial exigency (pursuant to the NSHE Code, as may be amended from time to time); and/or (2) by future action of the State legislature to reduce pay of certain categories of state employees.
APPLICATION DETAILS THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE PRIOR TO THE ANNOUNCED CLOSING DATE BELOW BASED ON VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED. Apply at https://www.unlv.edu/jobs Submit a letter of interest (cover letter) and a detailed resume listing qualifications and experience. If you are a veteran, please attach your DD-214 or other applicable official documentation to your application as evidence of Veteran’s or Disabled Veteran’s status. All documents should be attached in the CV/Resume attachment section when applying. Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based. The resume must have a detailed description of the major duties that you performed as a part of each job; applicants must demonstrate that they qualify for this position. Education (including High School) and experience must be clearly documented. Your application will NOT be moved forward if your application is incomplete. This recruitment will close at midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on November 30, 2020. Materials should be addressed to Jose Jimenez and must be submitted online. We do not accept emailed materials. For assistance with application process, contact UNLV Human Resources at (702) 895-3504 or UNLVJobs@unlv.edu.
SAFETY AND SECURITY STATEMENT UNLV is committed to assisting all members of the UNLV community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report compliance document is available online.
EEO/AA STATEMENT UNLV is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action educator and employer committed to achieving excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws. The University of Nevada, Las Vegas employs only United States citizens and non-citizens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Back to Job Listings