Location: Greater LA/SF area, California
This is us
Our mission is to help reforest the world’s 2 billion hectares of degraded land with sustainable approaches and disruptive technologies. We plant trees at scale across the globe to kickstart ecosystems and support the communities that depend on them. We are headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands with local teams in Spain and the US. We work with corporations looking to compensate their CO2 emissions by investing in reforestation, and with governments, and large-scale NGOs to rebuild nature, create carbon sinks and reconnect people and planet. We are a fast-growing company and are constantly bringing new business models and climate solutions to our customers and partners. In 2013, the company was founded by Jurriaan Ruys (former McKinsey partner) and Eduard Zanen (founder of Bugaboo). With 2-3 million trees to be planted worldwide in 2020, Land Life Company is becoming a global leader in ecosystem restoration.
This is the role
We are looking for an experienced, independent and self-starting reforestation manager. This person would be based in California and take over an existing network of land owners, nurseries and other partners. The reforestation manager would be the first person based out of Bakersfield and would have a lot of responsibility in setting up the local operational hub for Land Life company. The reforestation manager would be responsible for building on existing partnerships and setting up new partnerships with land owners looking to restore their land, and for planning and execution of reforestation projects. A fun combination of office and in-field work and a chance to be at the basis of a growing team in the US. The reforestation manager reports into the COO in Amsterdam for the time being, with a plan to hire a manager in the US in the near future. We are looking to set up a local office in California going forward. Bakersfield is one of the options, but we are open to considering locating in the greater LA / SF area.
The responsibilities of the reforestation manager will include but will not be limited to:
- Visiting and assessing possible planting sites, working with local stakeholders to secure permission and access rights;
- Planning large-scale projects to plant 500+ acres at a time in different areas of the United States;
- Lead planting design and technical project drafting, including land preparation requirements and species selection;
- Ensure flawless execution by managing and tracking resources and timing (e.g. labour, materials, equipment, seedlings, etc.);
- Lead planting work on field, including managing logistics, supervision in the field, point of contact to planting crew and other stakeholders;
- Execute in-field monitoring of the growth of the trees year round;
- Consolidate information on planting sites for internal and external reporting;
The following outlines our target profile; however, we are interested in candidates from a variety of backgrounds who are excited about what we do.
- Deep expertise in forestry, nursery practices, nature restoration. Knowledge of California ecosystems;
- Entrepreneurial, interested in a fast growing double-bottom line business;
- Flexibility to travel;
- Energetic, decisive and flexible. Able to work very independently;
- Excellent communication and people management skills;
- 5-10 years work experience minimum, preferably in forestry
- Fluent English speaker, Spanish is nice-to-have
- Valid working visa for US required
Please submit your CV and cover letter to Willemijn Stoffels at email@example.com We aim to on-board our new reforestation manager as soon as possible.
Back to Job Listings