Community Tree Specialist
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Tree Pittsburgh is an environmental non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing community vitality by restoring and protecting
the urban forest through tree planting and care, education, advocacy, and land conservation. Tree Pittsburgh is a registered 501( c )3.
The Community Tree Specialist conducts outreach to communities and large land managers in Allegheny County and offers
assistance in tree planting, tree ordinances, and technical assistance by encouraging scientifically based urban forest management
techniques and actions. They advocate for the many values of trees in the urban environment and encourage and participate in
partnerships among public and private interests that protect, conserve, and nurture trees in their communities.
In addition, the Community Tree Specialist helps establish Tree Pittsburgh as the regional leader where municipalities, institutions,
organizations, and individuals involved in urban/community forestry matters can come for information, ideas, and activities that will
promote improved tree health care and management practices and that enhance the beauty and livability of our communities. The
Community Tree Specialist will also serve as a crew leader for the new Urban Forestry Technician program, a job training program
slated for March-June.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Raises awareness and advocates the value of trees in an urban landscape to help restore the aesthetic,
environmental, and economic values of trees and forests in Allegheny County.
● Provides communities with technical assistance regarding strategic urban forestry planning that includes but is not limited to:
tree canopy assessments, tree planting for enhanced environmental services, street tree surveys, tree maintenance, and tree
● Works closely with municipal staff, councils, shade tree commissions, and other large land managers in Allegheny County to
form partnerships and assist in the creation and implementation of tree ordinances and policies that better protect and grow
● Leads active collaborations with professional organizations and government agencies and takes an active role with those
most important to Tree Pittsburgh, including the newly formed Shade Tree Commission Network.
● Sponsors and/or supports field tours, workshops, seminars, conferences, demonstrations of sustainable forest
management projects, media releases, and contacts with municipalities and government officials that support
● Develops informational and educational materials concerning the value, planting, and care of trees in urban settings.
● Seeks outside funding sources to ensure the continuation of the community forestry program.
● Leads municipal/institutional staff and volunteers in tree planting, tree care, and pruning activities.
● Provides management support to the new Urban Forestry Technician workforce development program by serving as crew
leader for three days a week during the five-month program.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
● Must be self-motivated team-player with the ability to meet project deadlines.
● Position requires a degree in forestry, horticulture, biology, botany, landscape architecture, or closely related field.
● 2 to 4 years of progressively responsible experience in community forestry or related natural resource work; or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
● Must be computer literate in Microsoft Applications: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as ESRI ArcGIS.
● Able to work in a fast changing environment, with a diverse group of people.
● An outgoing personality energized by public contact.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills along with a proven record of public presentation and teaching activities.
● Ability to assimilate and translate into common language a considerable body of technical information about trees and
related subjects, including the latest research findings.
● Evening and weekend hours as needed for presentations, programs, and appointments.
● Prefer the candidate to possess an ISA Arborist Certification, Municipal Specialist and Tree Risk Assessment
● Candidate must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and auto insurance.
Physical Demands and working environment:
Work is performed in a variety of outside field or event locations and in a standard work office environment. Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Compensation/Benefits: This is a full time salaried position with a competitive benefits package that includes health and retirement
APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED ON A ROLLING BASIS UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED
To apply for this position, please include the following:
1. A one page cover letter in PDF form or hard copy. The electronic file name should include your first name, your last name, and
the words “cover letter” (eg: Dawn Redwood Cover Letter ).
2. A one to two page resume with at least 3 professional references in PDF form or hard copy. The electronic file name should
include your first name, your last name, and the word “resume” (eg: Dawn Redwood Resume ).
Applications will be considered incomplete if they do not include the two items above, in the lengths and title formats specified.
Email your completed application to email@example.com and include your last name and “Community Tree Specialist” in the
subject line (eg: Redwood Community Tree Specialist)
Mail or deliver a hard copy to Tree Pittsburgh at 32 62 nd Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Equal Employment Opportunity and Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-racism
Tree Pittsburgh is dedicated to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism as a cornerstone to our success in achieving our
mission. We acknowledge the differences and similarities that all employees bring to our team. We are committed to creating
an atmosphere that fully utilizes the unique capabilities of each employee, where all employees are treated with dignity and
respect. We seek to foster an environment where everyone feels an authentic sense of belonging through the diversity of
thoughts, ideas, beliefs, experiences, and the inclusion and equality of people regardless of their gender identity, race, color,
sexual orientation, language, national origin, religion, disability, or age.
Tree Pittsburgh is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Tree Pittsburgh will base all employment decisions on valid
job qualifications, without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed,
disability, marital status, religion, obligation to serve in the United States Armed forces, or on any other basis protected by
federal, state, or local law.
Back to Job Listings