Utility Forestry Planner - Arizona Public Service
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Provide support to APS Forestry and Special Programs crews and planners so that the division's vegetation management program complies with the department's goals and objectives. Make notifications for all line-clearance activities to affected landowners including private, federal, state, and local municipalities. Compile work assignments for crews and schedule work to accommodate customer's needs. As required, distribute copies of APS's customer-relations brochures while making contacts with customers. Operate in conformance with APS accident prevention manual and the APS Vegetation Management Manual. Work with APS Job Designers to accomplish necessary tree work involving construction work-orders. Environmental factors: Subject to work hours outside of the normal work schedule and outdoors during inclement weather situations. Periodically prone to dangers inherent to work sites including exposure to sharp, high-speed rotating equipment, electrical fields, falling and flying debris, difficult terrain, pesticides, and animal, insect, and snake bites. Involves driving throughout service territory and frequent overnight travel.
Forestry Planner - Flagstaff, AZ
The Forestry & Special Program Planner will provide support to APS Forestry and Special Programs crews and pre-inspectors so that the division's vegetation management program complies with the department's goals and objectives. Provide direction, monitor productivity and ensure that arboricultural standards are met in a cost-effective manner compatible with current regulatory constraints. Keep crews stocked with appropriate tools and supplies. Evaluate crew performance and conformance with applicable laws, industry standards, environmental regulations, DOT, SPCC, ANSI and OSHA requirements, herbicide product labels and MSDS sheets, APS safety standards, and the APS Vegetation Management Manual.
Environmental factors: Subject to work hours outside of the normal work schedule and outdoors during inclement weather situations. Periodically prone to dangers inherent to work sites including exposure to sharp, high-speed rotating equipment, electrical fields, falling and flying debris, difficult terrain, pesticides, and animal, insect, and snake bites.Involves driving throughout service territory and frequent overnight travel. Additional duties may include evening and weekend duty.
Minimum four-year degree in forestry, arboriculture, horticulture or related field or a Certified Arborist with at least four-year's of field experience in utility arboriculture. Must possess and maintain ISA Certified Arborist and Utility Specialist certifications and/or obtain such certifications within one year of employment. Must possess and earn Arizona State Pesticide Certification categories III and VII and sub-section Right-of-Way. Working knowledge of applicable ANSI and OSHA standards. Computer experience using windows-based programs including, Maximo, , MS Outlook, Word and Excel. Must have an aptitude for public relations and interpersonal communications. Must demonstrate a strong commitment to environmental stewardship.
- With general direction and weekly review, responsible for implementing divisional and departmental plans and programs which have a significant impact on the performance of the business unit.
- Coordinate the activities and operations of Forestry and Special Programs crews and inspectors in assigned area to conform to the overall work plan developed by Supervisor.
- Investigate requests for tree work and address customer complaints.
- Plan and schedule assigned crews in accordance with specific discussion and consultation with the Supervisor so as to determine actual needs and priorities.
- Provide technical expertise, instruction and assistance to field personnel. Responsible for crew effectiveness, work productivity, arboricultural quality and safe work practices.
- Provide support to overall directives and performance expectations in compliance with the company's Accident Prevention Manual and labor contract. Assist the Supervisor in the investigation of personnel injuries, accidents, property damage and any line outages or suspected line outages a crew may have caused.
- Participate in training programs and public education programs by preparing and or public speaking.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of technology and regulations through professional reading, attendance at seminars and participation in professional organizations.
For additional details and to apply for the position visit www.aps.com/careers
Job #: 20210237
Posting Close Date: April 21st, 2021
Back to Job Listings