Tree Corps Crew Member
Location: Cleveland OH
Tree Corps Crew Member
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is searching for Tree Corps Crew members. Tree Corps Crew members will learn urban forestry and arboricultural skills through weekly classroom training. Training will cover an in-depth range of arboriculture skills in combination with a hands-on learning/work environment. The Tree Corps program is a 6-week job training temporary position to be located at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. This 6-week program is great for anyone who wants to learn more about the environmental field, is looking to pivot into a new career path, or anyone interested in getting outdoor work experience.
You will get:
• Learn urban forestry and arboriculture skills and concepts with a variety of local experts.
• Install and maintain trees throughout northeast Ohio in urban, rural, and suburban areas.
• Use handheld tools and equipment to maintain and plant trees.
• Learn safe workplace practices relevant to working outdoors.
• Professional and career development sessions
• Work in a beautiful environment within Greater Cleveland
• Discounts in our stores & cafes
• Free parking at both campuses anytime we are open.
• Free admission to many Northeast Ohio Museums
• Free Employee Assistance Program
• Must be located in the Northeast Ohio
• Ability to work a Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
• Must be able to set up a direct deposit account Key Responsibilities:
• Support Holden Forests & Gardens’ mission, vision, and values and core commitment
• Gain arboriculture experience while working at job sites in and around the Cleveland area with a variety of partners.
• Operate handheld tools such as pruners, loppers, shovel.
• Applying mulch and soil amendments
• Planting, watering, and maintaining a variety of woody and herbaceous plants.
• Hauling brush and raking
• Participate in and support community tree planting projects.
• Perform other duties as assigned Qualifications and Skills:
• Be able to read, understand basic instructions, and complete basic math skills.
• Must have the ability to solve practical problems.
• Effective and appropriate verbal and written communication
• Ability to work within a team and be self-motivating when working individually.
• Must be hard-working, committed, and conscientious with a positive attitude.
• Ability to interact positively and effectively with diverse groups of people.
• A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
• Standing, bending, kneeling, climbing, reaching, pulling, pushing, sitting, grabbing and lifting and carrying
• Transporting oneself by foot over a variety of terrain that may be wet, slippery, uneven, or rocky.
• Ability to work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain.
• The employee must have the ability to lift up to 30 lbs. occasionally 50 lbs.
• Working outdoors or indoors in various weather conditions including rain, snow, and high heat
• Ability to walk an average of 1-3 miles in variable terrain Apply:
Holden Forests & Gardens values an authentic sense of belonging at all levels of the organization, including staff, volunteers, Board of Directors, and visitors. HF&G believes that working toward an equitable culture that values all perspectives enriches the work environment, helping achieve our goal to build a greener and healthier Northeast Ohio. We are working to create and sustain a supportive environment and sense of belonging for people of all
backgrounds. HF&G also provides regular DEAI training for staff, managers, volunteers, and the Board to create a welcoming and accessible environment.
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
If you see yourself in this role, please submit a resume and contact information for at least two references which includes their name, relationship to you, email address, and phone number.
To apply online go directly to https://holdenfg.org/career-and-internships/ and click on the “Tree Corps CREW Member” job link under “Science & Conservation”. There you will see the full job description. To apply, please, fill out all application questions and if you have one, upload a resume.
Applications with or without attached resumes must be submitted by 5 pm on Friday, September 22, 2023. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens.
Back to Job Listings