Location: Dallas, TX
General Position Overview
Provides lead worker assistance for a large crew or to a number of large multi-disciplined crews which may include performing difficult and complex tasks including but not limited to maintenance operations that involve the care of trees in an urban forest environment. Work involves pruning tree limbs, removing diseased and /or dead trees from city parks and other property.
Essential Job Functions
- Complete all daily assigned schedules and reports.
- Comply with all Environmental Management System policies, procedures, and obtain required Environmental Management Systems annual training.
- Keep all tools, equipment and supplies secure at all times.
- Complete Daily Equipment Inspection on all equipment, tools, and vehicles to include Daily Preventative Maintenance.
- Conduct monthly equipment inventory.
- Attend and participate in annual Safety Conference.
- Cross-train in other areas as requested by supervisor.
- Report all problems and safety issues to supervisor.
- Report all accidents, incidents, and injuries to supervisor immediately.
- Comply with all City of Dallas: Personnel Rules, Safety Rules, Administrative Directives, and District General Rules.
- Minimize all accidents, incidents, and injuries.
- Perform other job assignments and tasks requested by supervisor.
- Provide quality customer service, internal and external.
- Assisting with Planning and preparing with administrative duties, such as Performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, internal tracking, purchasing procedures, contract compliance and incident reports.
- Assist in the hiring process of park maintenance staff.
- Assist with providing and/or coordinate staff training and development.
- Assist with preparing and coordinating safety-training sessions for assigned employees;
- Ensure staff complies with daily vehicle and equipment inspections to ensure proper and safe operation practices are being followed.
- Identify opportunities for improving efficiency, service delivery methods, and procedures.
- Respond to and resolve citizen inquires and complaints, 311 service requests, and internal service requests. Consult with supervisor for more complex issues.
- Assist with organizing, closing, and creating on demand work orders, as part of a contingent plan when the Office Assist is absent or behind.
- Maintain a Valid Texas Commercial Driver’s License (minimum B).
- Coordinate maintenance needs with the Direct Supervisor.
- Assist in the coordination and preparation for a variety of special projects and events with the Park and Recreation Department.
- Provide quality guidance, planning, preparing, prioritizing and delegating work orders and assignments for the Forestry Teams responsible for providing maintenance to include, but not limited to the following functions; tree removal, tree pruning, brush removal, chipping, tree planting, mulching, and emergency response.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Requires knowledge, use, care of hand and power tools, such as jackhammer, cement mixer, and power auger.
- May require knowledge of surface preparation/adaptability of various surface materials.
- May require standard colors, configuration, and placement of lane markings and traffic signs.
- Requires knowledge of custodial, carpentry, plumbing, painting, mechanics, landscaping, and specialized equipment.
- Ability to receive and transmit to crewmembers oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform math calculations. Read charts and maintain written records.
- Ability to lead crewmembers in the performance of a variety of heavy manual labor for extended periods.
- Ability to lift and work with heavy equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, city officials, vendors, other government agencies, other employees and the general public.
- May require State of Texas Class “A” or “B” CDL.
Qualifying Educational Background
- High School Diploma or GED
Work Environment & Physical Requirements
- Requires extensive walking, carrying, dragging, holding, pulling, pushing, lifting, kneeling, bending, twisting body, walking, reaching, and squatting; may be required to lift up to 100 pounds.
- Major activities are performed on level, slippery, sloping, unstable and uneven terrain.
- Major activities are performed outdoors.
- May be exposed to extreme cold, heat, heights, temperature swings, constant noise, mechanical and electrical hazards, fumes, odors, toxic chemicals (pesticides or herbicides), dust and mites.
Back to Job Listings