Forestry Dept. - Parkways Maintenance Section Assistant
Location: New Orleans, LA
Salary: $48,665.00 Annually
Join our team of professionals caring for the diverse and vibrant urban forest of New Orleans!
Kind of Work
High responsible supervisory and administrative work in daily operations of Forestry division, including: directing tree work crews, tree inspections and risk assessments, administering and checking work of tree work contractors, and various tree protection inspections of construction permits and projects. The duties of this position involve the over-all responsibility for the planning, direction and field supervision of a large division of the parkway program as a principal assistant to the Chief Urban Forester.
Necessary Knowledges, Skills and Abilities
(At time of appointment)
- Thorough knowledge of use and operation of mechanical equipment used in arboriculture, including the hazards involved and necessary safety precautions.
- Ability to plan, assign, and direct the work of a large group of subordinate supervisors, laboring crews, and skilled and semiskilled workers.
- Ability to investigate and answer intelligently complaints received from the public, to handle complaints firmly but courteously, and to originate proper remedial action when necessary.
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this position is $48,665 Annually.
- 14 paid holidays in 2023.
- 13 paid vacation days per year including during your first year of employment. Additional bonus vacation days the longer you are employed.
- 13 paid sick days per year including during your first year of employment. Additional bonus sick days the longer you are employed.
- We offer healthcare plans as low as $60.31 biweekly for individual employees.Our plan covers medical, prescription drugs, dental, and vision. Plan members can also opt to cover their children, spouses and same or opposite sex registered domestic partners.
- A completely free $25,000 life insurance policy is also available for all full-time employees.
Permanent status as a Senior Parkways Maintenance Supervisor (formally titled Parkways Maintenance Supervisor III) and one (1) year of experience in that classification.
Six (6) years of full-time supervisory experience in tree maintenance
Note: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Forestry, Park Management, Agronomy, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, Botany, Plant Science or closely related field may be substituted for five (5) years of the required experience.
*Candidates for Forestry positions must also possess a current Louisiana Arborist license.
*Prior to appointment, the hiring agency is required to verify education claimed by the applicant to qualify for this classification. If selected for hire, applicants must provide original documents of their qualifying credentials to the hiring agency prior to their start date in this job classification.
This position requires a one (1) year probationary period.
To apply or for more information, please visit:
Back to Job Listings