Senior Tree Trimmer
Location: City of Santa Barbara
At the City of Santa Barbara, the best part of our organization is our people. As a City of Santa Barbara employee, you will work in an environment with other motivated individuals who are passionate about their work. We strive to provide employees with the support they need to thrive. Discover more about us, our values and our organizational culture here.
The mission of the Parks and Recreation Department is to provide residents and visitors with diverse open space, parks, beaches and community forest resources, creek restoration and water quality enhancements and enrich people’s lives through a broad array of recreation and community services. Read more about the Department of Parks and Recreation here.
The City of Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation Department is seeking an experienced Senior Tree Trimmer. This position will lead, oversee, and participate in the more complex and difficult work of staff responsible for City tree trimming, removal, and pruning services; to respond to emergency situations involving City trees; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
This is the advanced journey level class in the Tree Trimmer series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed and the complexity of duties assigned. Employees perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties assigned to classes within this series including difficult tree trimming assignments and the operation of all assigned equipment. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
- EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS
- Operations, services, and activities of a tree trimming, removal, and pruning program.
- Principles of lead supervision and training.
- Methods and techniques of tree trimming, removal, and pruning.
- Operational characteristics of tree trimming, removal, and pruning equipment and tools.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Methods and techniques of tree pruning, removal and planting.
- Care, operation, and maintenance of a variety of mechanical equipment and power tools used in the area of work assigned.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices necessary in the area of work assigned.
- Lead, organize, and review the work of staff in the area of work assigned.
- Independently perform the most difficult tree trimming, removal, and pruning tasks.
- Interpret, explain, and enforce Department policies and procedures.
- Operate a variety of tree climbing, trimming, removal, and pruning equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Observe possible safety hazards and react accordingly.
- Perform tree climbing, trimming, removal, and pruning activities.
- Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Operate a variety of mechanical equipment and power tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Three (3) years of increasingly responsible tree trimming, removal, and pruning experience.
Education and/or Training:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in tree trimming, removal, and pruning.
License, Certificate and/or Other Requirements:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver's license.
- SELECTION PROCESS
It is important that your application and supplemental questionnaire show all the relevant education, training, and experience you possess which qualifies you for this position. All applications and supplemental questionnaires will be reviewed and the most qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process. Be sure to be thorough in your responses. Statements such as “See application”, “Extensive Experience”, or "See Resume" are not an acceptable substitute for a completed application and supplemental questionnaire.
The selection process may consist of an application screening, written exam, computer skills exam and/or an oral interview. The successful candidate's employment history will be thoroughly evaluated prior to appointment.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
There is currently one (1) vacancy within the Parks and Recreation Department.
Communication regarding your application and/or status will be sent to the email address listed on your application. Please check your email and spam regularly throughout the recruitment process. You may also log into your governmentjobs.com account to view these emails.
CITY APPLICATION AND RESPONSES TO THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5:30 PM ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2022.
- City of Santa Barbara
735 Anacapa Street
P.O. Box 1990
Santa Barbara, California, 93102-1990
- (805) 564-5316
Back to Job Listings