Forestry and Roadway Manager
Location: Mountain View, CA
Salary: $124,325 to $155,406 Annually
What's the role?
We’re looking for a highly motivated, skilled, organized, and experienced professional to join the Community Services Department and take on the role of Forestry and Roadway Manager. The Forestry and Roadway Manager is responsible for overseeing the operations, maintenance and enhancement of the urban forest. This key management position will plan, organize, direct and coordinate the activities of the Forestry and Roadway Division, including the Heritage and Street Tree programs, the downtown and Civic Center areas, median landscaping, and pesticides. This position receives general direction from the Community Services Director or Assistant Community Services Director and exercises direct and indirect supervision over assigned division personnel. If you are looking to take on a challenging and rewarding technical professional role, this position is for you!
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in park or forestry maintenance/operations, including at least two years at the supervisory level.
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in park management, forestry maintenance, or a related field.
- Possession of a valid California Driver License
- Experience working in a government agency.
- Possession of an Arborist Certification from the International Society of Arborists.
- Possession of a California Pest Control Advisor's License.
What You'll Do
- Plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the daily functions, operations, and activities of the Forestry and Roadway Division and oversee the development of the Division’s work plan.
- Participate in recommending the appointment of personnel; train, evaluate and schedule staff; and support learning and development
- Represent the division at professional, community, and advisory committees and organizations; provide staff support as necessary.
- Develop and manage a variety of grants, contracts, and agreements related to forestry and roadway activities.
- Enforce ordinances, codes, and City regulations related to the City’s Forestry and Roadway Program.
- Analyzes and prepares reports for City Council and attend meetings as necessary.
- Administer the division budget, including analyzing expenses and setting rates and fees; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Act as a liaison between citizens and City staff regarding complaints and inquiries.
- Inspect and report on contractor services and work with the Forestry staff to enforce Mountain View's Heritage Tree Ordinance and implement the forestry management program.
- Work on capital improvement projects, including developing cost estimates, preparing descriptions of work and cost estimates and conduct inspections of projects.
Are we a match?
- You are an experienced leader committed to providing top-notch supervision to your team and exceptional customer service to fellow employees.
- You are an exceptional communicator (oral and written) with strong interpersonal skills.
- You are a flexible and resourceful person who is able to navigate in a setting that involves numerous parties, internal and external to the organization, with differing perspectives, interests and goals.
- You are an individual who is self-motivated, team oriented, reliable and able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- You have the ability to make effective public presentations.
- You have the ability organize work and set priorities.
- You can prepare clear, concise, and effective correspondence, reports, and other written materials.
- You are adept at juggling multiple priorities and projects in order to meet targeted deadlines.
- You have a strong technical expertise.
- You have excellent judgement in making decisions.
Submit your complete City application with responses to supplemental the questions and a copy of your resume online at www.calopps.org .If you are not able to complete an application online, please contact us at: email@example.com or (650) 903-6309. Please provide a valid email address on your application. Complete applications are required.
This recruitment will close at 5:00 p.m. PST on on Friday, December 3, 2021 (postmarks, faxes, emails, and mail will not be accepted if not received by the filing date). Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to the following process:
- Virtual oral board interview - tentatively scheduled for the week December 13th (weighted 100%)
- Select candidates who pass the oral board interview may be invited for an interview with staff from the Community Services Department for a more in-depth discussion regarding the position - tentatively scheduled for the week of January 10, 2022. Interviews will be conducted in-person following social distancing and all applicable COVID-19 related protocols.
Depending on the number of applicants, this process may be altered.
Back to Job Listings