Crew Leader - Urban Forestry
Location: City of Falls Church, VA
- Manage the City's irrigation systems, lawns, landscapes, and the maintenance of trees.
- Manage the City's urban forestry staff and contractors performing installation and/or maintenance of trees, landscapes, lawns, and irrigation.
- Create, implement, and oversee strategies and plans to maintain and improve public green spaces public facility grounds, parks, and rights of way.
- Regular maintenance activities as well as recognizing, organizing, and managing emergency repair functions.
- Address emergency issues relating to trees and horticulture that may adversely impact public safety.
- Provide guidance to City staff on technical matters related to arboriculture and horticulture.
- Ensure the City’s urban forestry staff and contractors comply with the City’s safety standards and policies as well as industry safety and operational standards for arboriculture and horticulture.
- Create and oversee the Urban Forestry Division's safety program.
- Monitor all plantings on public property for hazardous conditions, insect or disease infestations, and potential problems, and implements corrective action.
- Select, purchase, and inspect planting materials for public properties including trees in consultation with City Arborist.
- Supervise and participate in the selection, maintenance, and operation of specialized equipment in connection with assigned tasks, including chipping and grinding operations.
- Create, manage, and maintain a tool, equipment, supply, and supplier inventory for the Urban Forestry Division.
- Assist the City Arborist by providing a second opinion (when requested) on plan review and other projects pertaining only to the City’s green space.
- Manage the City’s Habitat Restoration Program — selective removal of invasive plants on public properties and restoration/planting of native flora and the Neighborhood Tree Program – planting trees in the City’s right-of-way.
- Serve as key member of City team for emergency work related to trees.
- Assist with the Department of Public Works snow removal operations.
- Respond to inquiries and complaints from citizens/customers.
- Emergency overtime work as required.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Back to Job Listings