Environmental Improvement Officer (Arborist)
Location: Ormond Beach, FLorida
Performs responsible technical work in the enforcement of City Codes and Ordinances. Primary duties include inspecting properties and developments for compliance with environmental standards, tree removal and landscape/vegetation protection, and Development Order inspections. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed by conferences, oral/written reports and results obtained.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts preliminary and final field inspections of work in progress or completed under approved building permits for single family and duplex developments. Ensures all landscape/vegetation and trees to be retained on site are protected from potential damage due to construction activities. Ensures the site conforms to the approved building permit and City Codes and Ordinances.
- Investigates complaints regarding alleged code violations, determines the validity of the claims, issues notice of violation and suggests remedial action. Provides follow-up inspections and correspondence as necessary to insure compliance.
- Investigate businesses, contractors and developers to ascertain that they have the proper licenses and/or registration.
- Assists in the prosecution of violators of the Code and gathers witnesses and evidence. Presents cases to the Special Master.
- Consults with architects, engineers, general and specialty contractors and property owners.
- Reviews applications for tree removal permits. Conducts final inspections to ensure development meets permit specifications.
- Maintains records of inspections made. Prepares reports and makes recommendations.
- Advises City staff on building and facilities construction and maintenance activities relative to tree landscape/vegetation protection matters.
- Makes recommendations regarding amendments to the Land Development Code relative to tree removal, landscape and wetland issues.
- Works with the Building Division and the Development Services Engineer in issuing the following permits: tree removal, grade and fill, under-brushing and wetland protection.
- Conducts evaluation of insect, disease infestation and hazard trees. Assists Landscape Architect with staff recommendation for historic tree removal report to be presented to the City Commission.
- Conducts annual landscape and irrigation maintenance inspections on residential, office, commercial and industrial sites to ensure compliance with the approved landscape plans and development orders.
- Investigates sign complaints to ensure they are in compliance.
Education and/or Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in horticulture, forestry, botany, landscape architecture or environmental science and three years field experience. Comparable experience in an environmental field can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
- Knowledge of the Land Development Code in the areas of Environmental Enforcement within three (3) months of employment.
- Experience in interpreting regulations related to zoning and other codes preferred.
- Knowledge of state and local environmental protection standards and regulations.
- Must possess a ISA Certified Arborist Certification
- Must be able to obtain an ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification within the first 12 months of Employment.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of pertinent City, State and Federal laws and regulations pertaining to environmental issues, including but not limited to wetlands, water pollution, landscaping and tree protection.
- Knowledge of Florida plant material.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to identify Florida tree species.
- Ability to recognize and identify diseased or hazardous tree conditions and make recommendations for removal or trimming.
- Knowledge of tree preservation practices for construction sites.
- Knowledge of building and zoning codes and related laws and ordinances.
- Knowledge of wetland identification (general limits).
- Ability to adjust schedule as may be required to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and blueprints and to compare them with construction/development in progress.
- Ability to consult with building owners, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to enforce regulations with firmness and tact.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, the developers, the general public and other City employees.
- Ability to use/learn various computer software programs utilized within the position.
- Possession of a valid Florida drivers’ license.
- In the event of an emergency, full time permanent employees may be required to assist in performance of essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully meet the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and climb or balance.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
- The majority of work is performed in the field subjecting employee to varying weather conditions.
Back to Job Listings