Program Manager for Visitor Engagement
Location: Jamaica Plain, MA
Reporting to the Head of Public Programs (also posted as an open position- requisition 54567BR), the Program Manager (PM) for Visitor Engagement manages all aspects of the Arnold Arboretum’s on-site, visitor engagement, and educational services. They lead a team of four Visitor Engagement staff to deliver in-person welcoming and orientation services to a wide audience ranging from local neighbors to visitors from all over the globe.
The Program Manager works cross-departmentally with the Digital Programs and Content Manager, Manager of Children’s Education, and departmental leadership to set goals for visitor engagement activities that include an emphasis on diversity, inclusion, and environmental justice.
Collaborating with the Digital Programs and Content Manager, the PM creates and implements public programming including, but not limited to, outdoor presentations, seminars, tours, and seasonal events inspired by the Arboretum’s living collections and the natural world. They also work through, and with, the Coordinator of Visitor Engagement, to recruit, train, and organize a volunteer corps that includes Arboretum Docents and Arboretum Interpreters.
The Arboretum has reconfirmed its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through a variety of new initiatives. Many of these are centered around the work of the Public Programs and Visitor Engagement departments. The PM plays a key role in these efforts aimed at increasing access and welcoming across the Arboretum. The Arboretum is also committed to working to build a diverse community within our staff. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
- Oversee all work, scheduling, training, and development of Visitor Engagement Staff. Has responsibilities in managing performance, doing performance reviews, and hiring/ firing when/ if needed.
- Manage all aspects of the Arnold Arboretum’s physical Visitor Engagement amenities including, but not limited to, the Hunnewell Visitor Center and the new mobile visitor center.
- Collaborate with other Harvard University units, the City of Boston, and not-for-profit organizations in creating and implementing dynamic programming.
- Develop and oversee tours with the Coordinator of Visitor Engagement; lead tours.
- Oversee and manage the recruitment, training, organization, and recognition of Arboretum volunteer Docents and Arboretum Interpreters.
- Manage departmental budget.
- Assume the lead role in running and organizing the Arboretum’s largest event, Lilac Sunday, each May.
- Create content and write for institutional publications and digital resources.
- Occasional evening and weekend presence is required.
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the plant sciences, museum studies, environmental education, or a related field.
- Three or more years of experience working within a public garden, museum setting, or related setting. Experience in outdoor education programs and/or interpretation of natural sites or related fields.
- Two or more years of progressive management, supervisory, project management, and administrative experience and skills.
- Experience managing staff in a public garden, natural history collections, museum, or related setting.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
Link to apply: https://jobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25240&siteid=5341&Areq=54569BR
Back to Job Listings