Location: New York, NY (Various locations)
Office Title: Forester
Civil Service Title: Forester Title Code No: 81361 Level: II
Salary: New Hire Rate: $51,737 Incumbent Rate: $59,497
Number of Positions: TBD Work Location: TBD
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture, and Natural Resources is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure. The division is responsible for citywide urban forestry, ecological and horticulture initiatives.
- Under general supervision, perform advanced professional forestry functions in the field and office; perform related work.
- Enforce Parks Department standards for tree pruning, removal, planting and replacement. Assess work to be done by contractors; engage in directly and supervise employees involved in professional forestry activities.
- Consult with engineers, developers and contractors on a regular basis throughout projects.
- Schedule and supervise field surveys and inspections to assess the conditions of trees for health, structure, insect and disease.
- Compile and manage street tree planting contracts. Survey sites for planting potential and make decisions regarding species selection and site design. Inspect and tag trees at local nurseries. Perform post-planting field inspections and inspect trees
- Respond to citizen inquiries and maintain working relationships with community boards, community groups and officials within and outside of the agency. Coordinate community-based greening efforts and lead tree stewardship workshops.
- Examine other agency and permit applications to assess impact on trees and landscapes and/or issue tree planting permits.
- Manage borough-wide tree database and track, monitor and produce reports on budgets, productivity, accomplishments and program status updates.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and one year of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
- An associate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and three years of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above. However, all candidates must have at least an associate degree with a specialization in forestry or a related subject.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
A Motor Vehicle driver's license valid in the State of New York. Serious moving violations, license suspension or accident record may disqualify you. This license must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience working with the public.
- Ability to work independently&
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 436814
Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 436814
Include your ERN and Job ID# 436814 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 436814
POST DATE: 03/06/20 POST UNTIL: FILLED
NOTE: References will be required upon request. If you have any questions regarding this vacancy or require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please call the Personnel Division at (212) 830-7851.
New York, NY
Back to Job Listings