Urban Forestry Supervisor
Location: Charlotte, NC
Salary: $57,054 - $71,318; Commensurate with Experience
Urban Forestry Supervisor
The Urban Forestry Supervisor is responsible for the management of urban forestry activities related to the City of Charlotte Tree Ordinance and Zoning Ordinance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage & supervise work & activities of a team of Urban Forestry Specialists
- Review / evaluate developer plans & specifications for tree planting / preservation / protection
- Conduct site inspections ensuring compliance with ordinances & use of proper practices
- Provide written & oral notification of ordinance requirements / related permits and/or reports
- Provide technical expertise regarding effectiveness of tree ordinance / draft changes / assist in creation of tree canopy policies
- Serve as liaison for Tree Advisory Commission & representative on interdepartmental committees
- Serve as Charlotte Tree Ordinance representative at City Council meetings / public meetings / other events
- Issue citations & attend appeal hearings as needed
- Provide enforcement & education programs with individuals / groups / government agencies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Degree in arboriculture / horticulture / forestry / related field
- At least five years of experience in urban forestry / arboriculture / horticulture / related field
- Knowledge of tree species & their biological requirements
- Excellent communication skills & public speaking experience
- Proven record of working successfully with public
- Ability to work independently / exercising initiative / independent judgment
- Ability to obtain & maintain City driving permit
- Prior experience with municipal tree ordinance & tree canopy policies
- Bachelor’s degree with five (5) years of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
- $57,054 - $71,318; Commensurate with Experience
- The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees. Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits
- The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace
How to Apply:
If you need assistance completing your online application, you are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available.
Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays. Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
Conditions of Employment: The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to Job Listings