Location: Yulee, Florida
Salary: $51,619.85 - $78,545.69 Annually
Human Resources (904) 530-6075 • Fax (904) 321-5797 An Equal Opportunity Employer
HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
96135 Nassau Place, Suite 5
Yulee, Florida 32097
To: Department Heads
From: Ashley Metz am/bls
Date: March 24, 2020
Department: Planning & Economic Opportunity
Pay Grade: 108
Pay Information: $51,619.85 - $78,545.69 Annually
Apply At: Applications will be accepted until filled. For additional information and to apply please visit www.nassaucountyfl.com or the Human Resources Department located at 96135 Nassau Place, Suite 5, Yulee, Florida 32097, Telephone (904) 530-6075 or Fax (904) 321-5797. Drug Free Workplace. This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference in accordance with applicable laws.
POSITION: DEPARTMENT: REPORTS: FLSA STATUS: PAY GRADE:
Planning & Economic Opportunity Planning&Economic Opportunity Director Exempt
This position is responsible for the reviewandmonitoring of construction and development projects for compliance with applicable landscape codes and policies, as well as safeguarding Nassau County's tree assets from disease, potential construction impacts and unpermitted removal of trees. This position will also be responsible for providing support in administering a future land conservation program. Work involves review of potential development projects and issue resolution associated with the County's overall planning policies and community development direction. Work involves considerable public contact, often of a sensitive nature and requires the exercise of patience, sound judgment, tact and diplomacy. This position requires availability (occasionally outside of normal operating hours) to respond to tree emergencies and assist in emergency storm events.
• Reviews landscape and tree protection plans to ensure compliance with County codes and standards.
• Implements County tree ordinance, including staff assistance to Amelia Island Tree Commission.
• Assists in implementation of County Canopy Road ordinance.
• Monitors and inspects contractors for planting, pruning, removal and any other tree related projects on the right of way, within tree conservation areas and protected buffers to ensure compliance with County code and standards.
• Works with volunteers; provides training and oversight, coordinates work schedules, collaborates with volunteers to execute special programs.
• Monitors the success of tree planting by gathering statistics and generating reports.
• Assists County staff with planning and implementing tree and landscape requirements for residential, commercial and industrial development projects countywide.
• Provides assistance in grant acquisition and management.
• Receives, investigates and issues potential violations to County code and statutes as they pertain to trees in tree protection areas, within protected buffers and the right of way.
• Composes, types, prepares, processes, files, copies and/or transmits a variety of documents, which may include correspondence, reports, notices, agendas, meeting minutes, budget documents,maintenancerequests,charts,spreadsheets,manuals,workorders,variousforms, logs, etc.
• Performs a variety ofmoderately to complex administrative duties in support ofDepartment activities, which include but are not limited to answering phones, providing information as requested and/or forwarding calls to appropriate staff person, taking messages, scheduling appointments, maintaining calendars, compiling data for reports and/or meetings,
establishing and maintaining files, maintaining databases, etc.
• Investigates and responds to internal and external requests for treemaintenance.
• Receives and responds to inquiries, requests for assistance and/or complaints from County employees, outside agencies and the public.
• Completes special projects asassigned.
• Identifies planting sites in the field through surveys and inventories.
• Select or assist in the selection of trees for street tree planting; coordinates tree procurement, delivery, and planting.
• Provides oversight of planting as needed; assists with oversight of contract planting.
• Responds to citizen complaints, concerns, and inquiries.
• Records documents and maintains records as required.
• Attends meetings, prepares and presents oral presentations and staff reports to Board of County Commissioners, Planning & Zoning Board and related committees.
• Maintains plans and specifications in compliance with County policy and planning principles.
• May lead, plan, and coordinate the work of a project team.
• Advises management of actions and potential risks.
• Attends and participates in administrativemeetings as required.
• Greets and assists office visitors and staff in a professional manner.
• Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the immediate supervisor, co-workers, other County personnel, vendors and the general public.
• Participates in staff meetings and attends other meetings as required.
• Operates a variety of equipment, which includes computer, fax machine, copier, telephone, calculator, etc.
• Attends and remains at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding absenteeism and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to higher management with respect to vacation time and leaverequests.
• Performs related duties asrequired.
(These essential functions are not a complete statement of all duties required of the job. Employees will be required to perform such other related job duties as may be assigned or required.)
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires a high school diploma orGEDequivalent,Graduation froman accredited four (4) year college oruniversitywithmajor coursework inUrban Forestry,Horticulture, Botany or a related subject area required supplemented by two (2) years of experience in urban forestry or horticulture or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Certification as anArborist by the International Society ofArboriculture required. Must possess valid StateDriver's License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge ofthemethods,policiesandprocedures oftheDepartment andCountypertaining to the performance of duties of the Arborist.
• Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards and regulations pertaining to the specific
duties and responsibilities of the position.
• Knowledge of the organization of the County and of related departments and agencies.
• Ability to comprehend, interpret and apply regulations, procedures and related information.
• Knowledge of modern office practices and technology.
• Knowledge of proper English usage, punctuation, spelling and grammar.
• Ability to perform required mathematical calculations. Ability to type accurately at a rate sufficient for the successful performance of assigned duties.
• Ability to operate andmaintain avariety ofoffice equipment asnecessary intheperformance of daily activities.
• Skilled in applying a responsible attention to detail as necessary in preparing reports and correspondence.
• Ability to read and interpret various materials pertaining to the responsibilities of the job.
• Ability to take the initiative to complete the duties of the position without the need of direct superv1s10n.
• Ability to use independent judgment in performing routine and non-routine tasks.
• Ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
• Knowledge of the terminology and various professional languages used within the Department.
• Ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to improve job performance and efficiency.
• AbilitytomaintaineffectiverelationshipswithpersonnelofotherDepartments,professionals and members of the public through contact and cooperation.
• Ability to perform duties in a courteous manner and with the utmost integrity in the best interest of the public.
• Ability to work under stressful conditions as required.
• Ability to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
• Tasks require extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
• Lifting and carrying up to 25lbs.
• Pushing and pulling
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability)
• Works inside in an office environment and out of doors with the ability to perform work effectively despite occasional exposure to adverse environmental conditions, including temperature extremes, wetness/humidity, rain, electrical currents, machinery hazards, uneven terrain, toxic agents, vibrations, noise extremes, fumes, dirt, dust, pollen, odors, etc.
• Has knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the industry.
I have read and understand this job description, possess theminimum education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and am capable and willing of performing all essential functions.
Bysigning below,I agree and understand thatI must beable toperformeach responsibility set forth above to continue my employment with the County.
Back to Job Listings