Location: Fremont, CA
Salary: $48.93 - $59.48 depending on qualifications
The City of Fremont is seeking an Urban Forester to serve as a lead program manager on its team of motivated and creative professionals developing the City’s first Urban Forestry Master Plan and Urban Forestry Program for citywide public trees. Under direction of the Parks Planning and Design Manager the Urban Forester will develop and administer the City’s first comprehensive inventory and community outreach to support the development of the Urban Forestry Master Plan. This position will provide a wide variety of skilled and technical assignments related to the installation, care and preservation of trees on public property and city right of way; enforce related municipal codes; and promote the benefits of community tree resources.
Fremont places a high value on developing quality streets and parks to promote an attractive and vital place to live and do business. Projects and developments throughout the City promote excellence in design and preservation of environmental resources. The Urban Forestry team is responsible for public outreach, education and tree removal permits for public and private trees.
This position is a full-time, benefitted temporary assignment with an anticipated 2 year duration.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
· Implement the City Urban Forestry Program. This includes creating strategic, organized and economically efficient plans of action supporting tree and urban forest preservation; promoting Community Forestry goals; and planning and coordinating community education and special events.
· Provide oversight on the selection, purchasing, installation, preservation, maintenance, trimming and removal of trees and other related plant material on public property.
· Develop and maintain inventory of all City trees and street trees.
· Promote the economic and environmental benefits of community tree resources to the general public through written information and public presentations.
· Administer the tree planting program including maintenance of the street tree master plan, botanical designation, inspection of plantings, and issuance of permits for planting, removal, and pruning.
· Serve as technical adviser to customers, City staff, and officials on park, street tree, and landscape matters.
· Implement the tree permit program, review and approve requests for tree removal and planting, and hold hearings on tree matters including appeals on permit denials.
· Represent the City with agencies, groups, and individuals concerned with trees and the City’s urban forest.
· Review landscape development plans and prepare recommendations prior to construction; participate in pre-bid, pre-construction, and project progress meetings; develop punch lists and conduct extensive inspections prior to granting initial and final acceptance on landscape projects involving trees and tree preservation.
· Make presentations and serve as technical advisor to City Council, Boards, Commissions, and Committees.
· Maintain records and prepare reports.
· Make determination of hazard trees through Tree Risk Assessments; manage and mitigate insect and disease problems impacting the tree resources within the City.
· Serve as a teacher and resource to the general community regarding tree maintenance and care.
· Perform other appropriate duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skills would be: Bachelor’s degree in Urban forestry, Horticulture, Arboriculture, Landscape Architecture, or a closely related field, and five years of progressively responsible experience in professional municipal arboriculture and urban forestry.
Incumbents in the Urban Forester assignment must possess the following at time of appointment: Certified Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Western Chapter or Membership in the American Society of Consulting Arborists.
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License at time of appointment is required.
The City is searching for a self‐motivated professional with solid program management and supervisory/team lead experience in the field of Urban Forestry. The successful candidate will possess strong knowledge of the principles of municipal arboriculture and community/urban forestry. Additionally, the best qualified candidates will have the ability to provide professional arboricultural analysis, implement sound urban forestry strategies, and prepare and make oral presentations. Working in the Parks Planning and Design Division requires a blend of strong technical skill, good organizational habits, comfort with evolving priorities common to working in the public sector, ability to take ownership of successes and failures, and willingness to mentor junior staff as well as be open minded.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The hourly rate is $48.93 - $59.48 depending on qualifications. Fremont offers an attractive benefits package, which includes, but is not limited to: CalPERS retirement plan, paid holidays, medical, dental and other city paid benefits. A complete benefits summary can be found at www.fremont.gov
This position is represented by the City of Fremont Employee Association (CFEA) bargaining group.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, apply online by submitting a completed City application, cover letter, and resume through our on line application system: City Jobs
The process may include individual and/or panel interviews, reference checks, fingerprint check, and other related test components. Only those candidates who have the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Tentative Recruitment Schedule
First Review of Applications: July 5, 2019
Oral Panel Interviews: Week of July 8, 2019
Departmental Interviews: Week of July 15, 2019
3300 Capitol Ave., Bldg B, Fremont, California, 94538
City of Fremont, CA, California 94538
Back to Job Listings